Chickens at school (and now I am in charge)

I haven't taken a tape measure out to the coop, but I know the inside is plenty big for 8 hens. Looking at the run I would say 10x12, that is a guess. So 8 hens would be a good fit. Hopefully when they get the orchard in they will build the chicken runways so the birds can have some "free range" time as well. I love seeing the chickens scratch in new dirt. They have so much fun.

This summer when I am working here and school is closed I will probably let them out into the orchard even if there is no run. I have noticed at home that they don't usually go far. I just have to have them trained to come back to the ratlle of the feed can when I am ready to go home at night since I won't be dark yet.

There will still be weekends and at least a month when I am not here to chick sit. Guess I better get my volunteers lined up, I live too far away to make the trek on my days off.

I think an organized network of volunteer parents and other chicken people would be hugely valuable. I also think that interesting run space is a crucial thing for hen happiness. I have 5 hens in an electric mesh run that has a 164 foot perimeter. Part of the area includes a chayote vine, another part includes a banana tree. They love to go to different places and hang out at different times of day. When kids see happy hens as well as productive ones, the whole idea takes on different meaning.

Just from experience I would defiantly have an experienced adult in the coop when there are children in there also. In my school We were raising chicks (this was before I got chickens.) and once the chicks hatched it all went down-hill. Chicks were dropped, there was no proper heat lamp to keep them warm, and most of them died. So it's good that you are in charge. I have kept my own flock for a few years now and when ever a kid that I babysit or just visitors want to go see the chickens I make sure that they are accompanied by a member of my family. It's awesome that first graders will be getting this experience, just make sure they are well educated. This is just my impute.
-Emily

I know what you mean about taking care of them after they hatch. I keep telling them that the 21 days in the incubator is the easiest.

I would love to hear from some schools that do this successfully. Who takes care of them? What do you do for vacations? Who pays for their upkeep? These are just some of my many questions.

Unfortunately the run right now is quite boring. Like I said earlier, when the orchard gets established the chickens are supposed to get some space in there, but I guess I should double check on that.

I do enjoy watching my chickens (and wild turkeys at times) scratching around the pasture and just being chickens. I am not sure that I would enjoy them as much in a tiny little run. I would probably feel sorry for them. I was thinking that maybe the school needs a chicken tractor that we can take out into the orchard during the day so the chickens can see some new territory now and then.

Does anyone clip wings to keep thier birds from flying over fences?

I know chicks are cute and all, but have you thought of just skipping the chick mess and going with point of lay pullets? Seems like it would be so much easier all around. No chick mortality, no light/heat, no rehoming unwanted roos............just sayin'.

I use animals as teaching tools in classroom setting. Incubation phase is straigthforward and I incourage some sort of record keeping. With respect to weekend care, make brooder over sized, keep feeder well away from waterer and use wood pellets to absorb moisture and suppress dust. Have kids change bedding (wood pellets weekly). Properly setup, chicks will be able to survive weekend without direct intervention. With holidays, someone needs to come in. I also encourage training chicks which is extremely easy. If care regimen is sound, then odds of success very high.

Back
Top Bottom