Chickens ate chick.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by minichicks05, Apr 19, 2016.

1. minichicks05

minichicks05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    This is a graphic forum. For older eyes only!
    Last night my 11 year old daughter was with her baby sitter and was closing up our barn. She did NOT close the door to the broody section.When she was done playing with them.Which is open to the older hens.
    So I went into to see everyone and this is really REALLY GROSS. There is a baby chick one the floor decapated. NO HEAD!!! The poor baby the mom didn't even watch the baby. Is it even safe to eat eggs from the other laying hens? I am kinda grossed out to eat eggs at the moment. What should I tell my daughters as it was there FAVORITE chick. Should I punish my 11yr old? Thanks for any suggestions!!!

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Chickens are omnivores and eat mice and frogs and pretty much anything they can. The hen doesn't rationalise out what she's doing. I've had cats eat their kittens, it happens in most species. Don't eat the eggs for a week or two if it grosses you out. I have read many posts of people feeding left over chicken to their chickens.

I would explain to your daughter what happened and that's why it's important that she does the responsible thing. It a very good way to learn a valuable lesson.

4. minichicks05

Sep 23, 2015
    Ok I will. I am just mad at the babysitter I told her to make SURE there door was closed.
    But I understand accidents happen. Will there be like a head in there poo because I cant find the head.
    Is it possible for the hen to get sour crop or a crop issue?

5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    When chickens try to eat something larger they flip it back and forth violently in their beaks trying to break smaller pieces off. It's possible the head went flying off somewhere and you haven't found it, it will dry up and almost be unrecognizable. A chicks head is a pretty big swallow, so I wouldn't be certain someone actually ate it. Also was the chick out overnight? Something else might have ate it's head off, like a rat or cat.

6. minichicks05

Sep 23, 2015
    I dont know if it was left out overnight I just walked in see s dead chick and a door open.
    We do have mice in are barn but I don't think rats. Could a mouse have done something?
    But then again I am pretty sure it was a chicken as its body was under there roosts.
    Its really sad... poor baby... She will probably have so many friends in Heaven [​IMG][​IMG]

7. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Chickens will eat anything, including a baby chick. I've had a similar accident happen with mine. :( I think losing the chick is punishment enough for your daughter and a good life lesson she won't forget. Sorry for your loss!

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Thinks happen in chicken keeping, I have been the cause of many things set in motion that eventually caused an animals demise, never intentional, chicks hop out of nests, predators snatch them, things get missed sometimes, doors get slammed at the wrong moment, I could go on. We can't predict everything, but can learn something each time. Life doesn't often care about an individual, humans do. Sorry, it is hard for both you and your daughter, hopefully the rest are doing okay.

1 person likes this.
  9. minichicks05

Sep 23, 2015
    Yes they are fine she is still sad but understands. She now made a sign to make sure to close the door [​IMG]

10. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It is a hard lesson, I'm still sorry for her though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by