Chickens ate chocolate

beach-bionic123

Hatching
Jun 28, 2022
I dropped a bag of brownie brittle that had chocolate chips in the brittle. They were only crumbs but some of my chickens (I have eight) accidentally got multiple. Some didn't get any at all but I'm worried. My youngest one was let out of her run and I've observed that she stands in one place in comparison with the rest of them who behave normally. When I picked her up, I noticed she was shivering (it was kind of cold outside). Could it just be the weather or maybe the chocolate was a problem? I'm worried because I read that if any problems, they'll occur in only 24 hours. I also held her upside down today (to see what she had eaten, not by her legs but in a cradling sort of way), would that also be a problem?

I dropped a bag of brownie brittle that had chocolate chips in the brittle. They were only crumbs but some of my chickens (I have eight) accidentally got multiple. Some didn't get any at all but I'm worried. My youngest one was let out of her run and I've observed that she stands in one place in comparison with the rest of them who behave normally. When I picked her up, I noticed she was shivering (it was kind of cold outside). Could it just be the weather or maybe the chocolate was a problem? I'm worried because I read that if any problems, they'll occur in only 24 hours. I also held her upside down today (to see what she had eaten, not by her legs but in a cradling sort of way), would that also be a problem?
I wouldn’t be too worried! If she still has baby fluff it’s natural that she would shiver a bit in cold weather. I doubt chocolate is good for them but a few crumbs won’t hurt.

Chickens aren't supposed to eat chocolate, but if it was only that much, I wouldn't be worried.
I highly doubt she's shivering because of the chocolate. It's normal for chickens to shiver, especially if they're young.
If it was cold, she probably stood in place because she was trying to warm up. If she was slightly fluffed out, that's definitely the case.
If she shows more worrying signs of illness, I would be more concerned. But even if she does get sick, it was probably just a coincidence and not the chocolate.

She's actually 4 (almost 5; is that considered young still?) months old and younger than all the rest, she wasn't exactly fluffed out per say but very tucked in. I checked on her just now and she's seems to be the same so I'll just observe her for the next day.
Thank you!

Can you show me a picture of what she looks like? I might be able to determine why she was shivering.

Can you show me a picture of what she looks like? I might be able to determine why she was shivering.
87647C98-9DE4-4DD1-9B00-C13E63C4D308.jpeg

Daisy :))

She’s always been a little dull in comparison to the rest but she is a week younger.
I’ve noticed her feathers look like they’ve been torn off a bit but that’s more of a persistent observation and likely not because of the chocolate.

Back
Top Bottom