chickens ate some toxic plant, what can I do

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
Star of bethlehem just sprouting up and I caught the chickens eating it. I read it is very toxic. They seem to be doing fine so far, I dug out the plants, bulbs/roots, filled holes with new soil, and then covered the are where they were growing with an outdoor carpet, just to make sure they don't dig up any bits I may have missed. I gave the chickens some scratch to eat and they are acting normal so far, its only been 2 hours though. How long might it take for them to show signs of illness if they do get sick? Are they in the clear after the first few hours? they are orpington pullets 11 mo old

My girls over the years have picked at/eaten several plants that are considered toxic. I think for the most part it takes a large amount to actually impact them. Mine have never shown any signs of illness. I just make sure they aren't obsessing over the plant and chowing down. And if they seem overly interested, then I remove or find a way to deter it. And it sounds like you've already taken those necessary precautions (good job!). I would watch them through the rest of the day and maybe into tomorrow for any signs. But I think they should be ok.

If they eat enough it can affect the heart. Symptoms to watch for:
Diahhrea, lethargy, blue or purple comb, difficulty breathing.
http://www.chickendvm.com/poisonous/star-of-bethleham
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/star-of-bethlehem-flower-and-bulb-toxic-to-animals.720288/
Having said all that, I've had birds eat some pretty terrible things and be fine. I would just watch.
Thanks I am watching them (fine so far) but also wondering what can I do to help them if they do show any signs of illness like you have mentioned? Is there anything I can do at home or is a vet the only option?

With that particular toxin, probably a vet would be best. Most home remedies involve flushing the system or charcoal to absorb the toxin, not sure either of those would really be effective for this.

Good morning I am very happy to update; my hens are still doing fine this morning! Thanks God! I love my 2 chocolate Orpingtons: Henna and Stella D'oro. They are very sweet and friendly! and they're my only 2 chickens, I have mostly ducks (13) plus 2 Pilgrim Geese

:)

Back
Top Bottom