My chickens ate some Four O’Clock flower seeds

Birdnubie

Chirping
Jul 21, 2022
There is a wide swath of Four O’Clock flower plant in my yard. The seeds are ripening and falling on the ground. Some of my chickens were eating them this morning. I am reading that the entire plant, including the seeds are toxic to people and animals. They all seem to be fine at the moment, but it has only been a couple of hours. Has anyone had actual experience with their birds getting sick from these seeds? And what can I do to help them?

Most chickens seem to know what's bad for them and may peck a few then avoid it, so maybe they didn't eat enough to hurt them.

With that said, if mine got into something known to be toxic, I would give them molasses as it's a laxative.

I looked up dosage: dissolve 50ml of molasses in 2 litres of water; offer to affected birds over 4 hours, then replace with fresh water.​

I'm not sure this is necessary yet as if they ate just a couple each, that shouldn't be enough to affect them much, but this molasses water wouldn't hurt them either.

I always turn to probiotics as well as they help build up good bacteria in their bodies.

I hope they don't get sick.

Most chickens seem to know what's bad for them and may peck a few then avoid it, so maybe they didn't eat enough to hurt them.

With that said, if mine got into something known to be toxic, I would give them molasses as it's a laxative.

I looked up dosage: dissolve 50ml of molasses in 2 litres of water; offer to affected birds over 4 hours, then replace with fresh water.​

I'm not sure this is necessary yet as if they ate just a couple each, that shouldn't be enough to affect them much, but this molasses water wouldn't hurt them either.

I always turn to probiotics as well as they help build up good bacteria in their bodies.

I hope they don't get sick.
Thank you Debbie292d. They must not have eaten much. They all seem perfectly fine today. I will keep your advice in mind for future reference.

Back
Top Bottom