Black Locust Seed Pods

Don't knock normal! It's much more hopeful treating a chicken with energy and vigor, signalling a strong immune system. She's much more likely to kick this.
Hi, just an update and a question:

I unfortunately wasn't able to get Willow started on the meds until today--I didn't have on hand what I thought I did and had to order it. She just had her first dose of Valbazen, which I'll re-dose in another 10 days.

Here's my question: the trimethoprin sulfa is due to arrive today--should I wait and use that instead of Corid direct dose? Or in addition to it? The label says it treats coccidiosis, and if that's the case, I feel I could use that and hammer out potential coccidia and a bacterial infection in one swoop. But if not, is it harmful to use both Corid and the sulfa abx in addition to valbazen? Also, what does do you use for the trimethoprin?

I'm also worried about sudden temp changes putting extra stress on her. We are going from 30s/20s to 0 with 30-40 mph winds. I'm almost ready to bring my chickens in the basement I'm so anxious. Behavior-wise, she's still bright and active and eating/drinking. The intestinal shed dwindled a bit the last few days (didn't see anything) but it was back this morning.

I was going to bring a flock block to them for the weather but I won't if she's being treated for coccidiosis. They'll be getting BOSS at dawn and dusk.

A big thank you for guiding me through this with so much patience! I hope you and yours stay cozy and safe in this weather, too! :bow

The sulfa med is an antibiotic used with a coccidiostat (Corid) You would still be wise to use Cord with it. If you've already completed the five day course of Corid, then just use the sulfa alone.

Your chickens will be fine in the cold. You will just need to check frequently for frozen water and replace it. Observe behavior and carefully note any chicken by herself nodding off or off balance or stumbling. That chicken is in trouble and needs rewarming and warm sugar water with electrolytes.

A heat lamp in the run or wherever they are during the day will allow them to warm up when they feel dangerously chilled.

The sulfa med is an antibiotic used with a coccidiostat (Corid) You would still be wise to use Cord with it. If you've already completed the five day course of Corid, then just use the sulfa alone.

Your chickens will be fine in the cold. You will just need to check frequently for frozen water and replace it. Observe behavior and carefully note any chicken by herself nodding off or off balance or stumbling. That chicken is in trouble and needs rewarming and warm sugar water with electrolytes.

A heat lamp in the run or wherever they are during the day will allow them to warm up when they feel dangerously chilled.
Got it--thanks. Last question: do you have tips on treating just one chicken with the sulfa med (which is a powder)? Or should I maybe treat the whole flock with Corid and Sulfa meds mixed together in their water after the freezing weather (and just give Willow Corid directly in the meantime)?

You may treat just Willow. But it doesn't hurt the others to get the sulfa, too, in case they are in early stages of intestinal lining damage.

Back
Top Bottom