Chickens attack at feeding time

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kristihilmoe, May 5, 2011.

1. kristihilmoe

kristihilmoe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    My husband goes out to feed the chickens in the morning, and evening, and they are on attack mode when he gets there. I say they must need more food. They are 8-9 weeks old, and on the second kind of food (cant remember, but its a step up from the chickie food) There are ten chickens, do they need like a big feeder and food there ALL day long? Or can you feed them twice a day like this? How much food a day would you say 10 young hens should go thru? And when do they start laying eggs?[​IMG]

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] from Ga Chickens and chicks need food to eat all day. They will not over eat.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  3. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Usually it is best just to get a feeder and fill it up with food. Might make it easier so you don't have to feed everyday. [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I would attack too if I was growing like a weed and only being fed twice a day. [​IMG] Like the others have said, they need food 24/7; especially during the rapid growth stage.

5. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    I'd suggest providing access to food (and water) all day long...maybe even in the coop at night.

Lots of folks make big ones from 5 gallon buckets for a reason.

I guess you can look on the bright side. Sounds like the chicks are warming up to you guys and ought to make good pets.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I'll take a different slant. Chickens sometimes react this way, even when there is still pellets in the feeder. It is kind of Pavlovian. I wouldn't make too much of it.

Contrary to other opinions, feed does not need to be present 24/7. Feeding on a ration schedule is an honored management system. That said, you might want to be sure they are getting a proper ration portion. If you feed an adequate portion in the morning, this rabid, over the top behavior shouldn't be this violent in the afternoon. I also suspect the overly competitive behavior is indeed intensified by having too small of feeders. You hinted their feeder isn't large enough.

10 Chickens of that age will consume 2-3 lbs of feed per day handily. Try a larger feeder tray and feed a larger ration in the morning and see if it helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by