Chickens attacked? Please help!!

amyf79

Hatching
May 12, 2015
Hello, I am a total newbie when it comes to chickens. This is our first year and every bit of information I've received has either been from books, forums, or a variety of websites. Earlier today, when I went outside to check my chicks, which I take out every morning to an open pen in the yard, I found one of my Jersey Giant chicks dead, its backside bloody. The other Jersey also had a bloodied backside. Unfortunately, I needed to put her down since there was no way to save her. But I now have a silver laced Wyandotte placed in the "chicken" hospital, a large Rubbermaid tub, in my home. Her left wing was bloodied and the others in the flock were picking at it. I think she can be saved. What I want to know is, is it possible my "babies" were attacked by a predator or could the others in the flock have killed and injured them? I live in a very rural area, surrounded by woods. My chicks are kept in a large "brooder" box during the night which is pretty much predator proof. They receive plenty of food and water with the occasional "treat" of dried mealworms, lettuce, fruit, and earthworms dug up from the gardens. They have never attacked each other before this day. I feed them Purina Starter Mash unmedicated. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

The box is about five feet by five feet and the top is covered in heavy wire mesh. I can't remember the technical name for it, but the holes are very small. I did have 18 chicks, now down to 16. But the attack, if that's what it was, happened around noon and I had them out of the box.

The brooder box is too small if they are over two weeks old. They need at least 2 sq. feet each at night. At least double that for a daytime run. As they grow they need even more space. Also, they need a covered area during the day to protect against hawks and, if they are really young, crows.

Okay, thank you for the help. I'll see what I can do about expanding their space.

Back
Top Bottom