Chickens before the coop-quite literally- DSM Iowa

SaJae

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2023
Hello from DSM! I grew up raising chickens but it’s been like 30+years. I had to old-school egg collect- now they have less traumatizing way to collect. Haha I prefer to try the 2023 version now. My husband and I just got 6 gals less than 2 weeks ago. We’ve done so much research and are overwhelmed. Mostly on a coop situation. Trying to get wood initially, (pre-chicken) we took down a play set and have ideas but no end game now. We want to get this right and get advice so we don’t reinvent the coop, if you will😁. We’re looking for a perfect midwest-weather, coop plans/schematics, predator proof-as much as can be; ventilated and all the Iowa winter/ summer weather mistakes to avoid. Walk-in, 9x 7 ish area that can def expand later. Thinking chicken math is real haha… space for 3’ per bird (no less than, right?) but room to expand later. We have a golden polish, Americana, sapphire olive egger, majestic onyx and 2 rare assorted that we (along with Google) are trying to deduce as they grow more feathers. Thank you!

Hello from DSM! I grew up raising chickens but it’s been like 30+years. I had to old-school egg collect- now they have less traumatizing way to collect. Haha I prefer to try the 2023 version now. My husband and I just got 6 gals less than 2 weeks ago. We’ve done so much research and are overwhelmed. Mostly on a coop situation. Trying to get wood initially, (pre-chicken) we took down a play set and have ideas but no end game now. We want to get this right and get advice so we don’t reinvent the coop, if you will😁. We’re looking for a perfect midwest-weather, coop plans/schematics, predator proof-as much as can be; ventilated and all the Iowa winter/ summer weather mistakes to avoid. Walk-in, 9x 7 ish area that can def expand later. Thinking chicken math is real haha… space for 3’ per bird (no less than, right?) but room to expand later. We have a golden polish, Americana, sapphire olive egger, majestic onyx and 2 rare assorted that we (along with Google) are trying to deduce as they grow more feathers. Thank you!
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom