Chickens Being Peck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NewHorizon, Jul 8, 2011.

1. NewHorizon

NewHorizon New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    I have a chicken that has pretty recently been bit by a dog about 2 months ago now she is better but still has a bum leg that doesn't work. Now that she has been back in the coop for about a month but is being pecked. Some of the feather on her head are pecked off and so are some of the feathers on her back. We don't know what to do with her. Any suggestions?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sounds like they are attacking her because they see her as weak. Other than separating her entirely, the only suggestion I have is more space for them, so she can get away from the others. It may be she will never be able to live in peace in her flock.

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I've seen it suggested on this site to isolate for a day or two the chicken who is doing the pecking, if you know which chicken it is and isolation is possible. This will lower the status in the pecking order of the chicken who is doing the pecking. I have never had occasion to try this, so I am just passing this along as a suggestion I have read on this site. You may want to search further on this.... Good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by