Chickens Bottom is Rotten and bleeding

Mdoran

Hatching
7 Years
May 22, 2012
Someone please help, I have 4 Hens, 2 Ducks that i've have for two years. I also have six chicks i've had for nearly three months.
Lately my chickens have had dirty bottoms. No blood just poop. We have been making sure that there vents have been clear. Yesterday i found a chicken dead in the coop its bottom was swollen, bleedng, infected and full of maggots. Now today a second chicken has become this way. It's separted from the rest but dont know what else to do. I dont know what this is or why it is happening. Any advice or knowledge of this would be great

Well what I would do is:
Clip any feathers away from wound that would be present, careful not to clip blood feathers.
wash the wound with warm water to get a better look at what is going on.
Search for any kind of bugs such as Lice or mites in the feathers.
If they are present try treating to get rid of them.
Take a picture!
The more info you can give the better, and photos work wonders on this site :D

I had the same thing happen to one of my hens too. She wasn't moving around and I picked her up and saw maggots eating at her. I tried cleaning her but they had done damage and my husband had to put her down. I thought maybe she somehow strached her bottom on something and the flies found the sore but there is nothing for her to stratch herself on. I would like to know the answer to this too.

Maggots generally feed on dead flesh - this is why some types are used to clean wounds of necrotic tisssue. Was there potential pecking going on to initiate a wound? Had their poo been off?

Back
Top Bottom