Chickens, chickens and more chicks!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I have hatched out many chicks from my vaccinated flock. It's fine to combine them. The broody hen can and should raise her chicks with the flock.
Thank you so much! Hope we didn't mess things up with the hen by taking the baby chicks and putting them in a brooder this morning! We were afraid that either, A) they would suffer hypothermia if the mom moved off them (still in high 30's at night), B) the other hens or the one rooster might hurt them, or C) they couldn't get to food/water when they were ready for it because the nesting box they were found in is about 12-18 inches off the ground. I thought we were doing pretty good, since we haven't lost any of our original 16, but now I think we know just enough to be dangerous... :(

Thank you so much! Hope we didn't mess things up with the hen by taking the baby chicks and putting them in a brooder this morning! We were afraid that either, A) they would suffer hypothermia if the mom moved off them (still in high 30's at night), B) the other hens or the one rooster might hurt them, or C) they couldn't get to food/water when they were ready for it because the nesting box they were found in is about 12-18 inches off the ground. I thought we were doing pretty good, since we haven't lost any of our original 16, but now I think we know just enough to be dangerous... :(
Mom and babies should be moved to a ground nest as soon as the eggs are done hatching. I'm surprised she didn't attack you for taking her kids.
The entire flock should be put on chick starter, Flock Raiser or All Flock right now. Put oyster shell out in a separate container for the active layers and make sure the chicks can drown in the waterer.
Mom does everything. She will feed them, bring them to water, teach them to scratch and keep them warm.

Back
Top Bottom