Chicken's Choice of Nest!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sherturton, Feb 20, 2011.

1. sherturton

sherturton New Egg

Jan 28, 2011
    Funny thing. We were getting 4 eggs a day for a while, and have only been getting 1-2 each day for the last couple of weeks. My six year old daughter went to put something into the compost bin today (which we haven't tended to for a while) and found TWELVE EGGS! We weren't sure how long some of them may have been there, so unfortunately we'll probably just have to get rid of them, but it sure was a funny find! [​IMG] I guess we'll be blocking off the compost bins to try to redirect her to the lay boxes!
    Sherilyn

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They lay in the most surprising places don't they?

3. the Precious Ladies

the Precious Ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Maryland
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Chickens are so strange like that!

5. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    I wouldn't throw them away, that would be a waste. Crack them open and have a sniff, trust your nose. If they smell fine they probably are.

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:Especially, with all the cold weather too. Silly girl. [​IMG]

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Four of my hens just decided they wanted to lay in a cardboard box full of brown packing paper, on the back porch.

There's been a lot of coop hopping of late, with the girls "trying out" different nest boxes. I think the new coop construction has them all in a dither. I am hoping they will all like the new coop when it's finished, it will be nice and big and there will be a row of nest boxes against one wall. We'll see.

8. supercalliefragilistic

supercalliefragilistic Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2010
    Washington
    haha that is too good!

9. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

The same sort of thing happened to me, we did the float test on the eggs. All tested fresh and we ate them and lived!

10. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    years ago we had a hen laying inside our square bale hay baler. when the plunger retracted, there was a space left unseen from outside with a portion of a bale left in the baler. when we used the baler next time the first bale was the old portion and part new hay. There were a number of eggs squashed and oozing out between the old and new. Good thing the hen wasn't in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by