1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens copying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GoodEgg, Aug 20, 2007.

1. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    My chickens are so much fun, and they're always doing new stuff (I'm still new enough to this!) that make me laugh or wonder.

Lately my drakes have become VERY aggressive, and will attack anything that moves. The kitten also thinks it's a great game to stalk anything that moves. So between them I have to keep busy when I let the chickens free range in the evenings.

When a drake comes in to bite a chicken, I will raise my arms and chase after him and yell, which makes them run away. The kitten gets the same treatment (although he enjoys the game and I think I'm only reinforcing him!).

After a few days of this, I started noticing that the girls have also gotten into the game. Sometimes when I chase the drakes, the chickens will all stream out behind me and join in the chase. Sometimes, I don't notice the drake sneaking up (or the kitten) and the chickens get there first ... there are a few now that run up to the invader and peck before they are attacked. I think the drakes and the kitten are now learning a new respect for chickens!

I just got a kick out of that ... and it makes my job easier too!

trish

2. nuchickmama

nuchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Rock Island, TN
    I Know what you are talking about. Since I've gotten my new chicks in April, my husband has stated many times that he has missed multiple video moments with the way I act around the chickens and ducks. They can make me laugh so hard at times. Chickens and ducks are the best tranquilizers in the world!!!!!

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    When I had my first flock (almost 20 years ago), friends cracked up at the way they'd follow me everywhere I went. We lived on 75 acres, at the dead end of the road. If I was out on the property and someone happened to come visit, the gang got all excited and would let me know we had company. It was a riot!

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by