Chickens dog and cats

MGChickenRanch

Chirping
Jul 25, 2020
I just thought this was interesting because I have only had chickens for about a year. I have kept them in a good sized coop and run because we are way out in the country with a lot of predators. We also have a large dog and two large cats and they have all been seeing each other through the chicken’s fence for several months. So a couple of months ago I decided to let the chickens free range while I am outside with them. What surprised me was that the dog the cats and the chickens all immediately intermingled with each other with no fear and with no incidents at all. Our dog follows them around and doesn’t let anything else in the yard and our cats graze in the yard with them. Anyway, I just think it is so cute. By the way, our dog is actually a bird dog but he treats these chickens like family. Even when they are running it does not set off his instinct to chase for some reason. Animals are so amazing!

That's wonderful! It's amazing to see different species getting along so well. What breed of dog? You'll have to post pictures some time.
We're getting a puppy in a couple of weeks (standard poodle, also a bird dog). I am really hoping it'll get along with our chickens as well as yours does.

That's wonderful! It's amazing to see different species getting along so well. What breed of dog? You'll have to post pictures some time.
We're getting a puppy in a couple of weeks (standard poodle, also a bird dog). I am really hoping it'll get along with our chickens as well as yours does.
449132F5-7513-45C3-A4FF-A737CF4B9EC0.jpeg
522AE5B8-45FA-406B-866F-F7393A721828.jpeg
Here are a couple of pictures. He is a Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

It does. The chickens are not bothered at all when our dog barks (which is not often just when he thinks there may be an animal intruder); in fact the rooster just becomes super vigilant and chimes in with a bunch of crowing. The hens just ignore the hoopla and trust that they will be protected.

Back
Top Bottom