Chickens don't go in coop at night

2TrakMind

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 15, 2013
Cedar Springs, Michigan
This is our second winter with our little flock. We have a nice coop with plenty of space for roosting. We also have a covered run that is pretty well sheltered from the elements, but it wasn't intended for them to roost in at night. Last winter, they would all go in at night and I'd close their door. This winter, however, they prefer to roost in the pen, rather than in the coop. I have gone out and chased them around, a few times and managed to get them all in for the night, but this just seems to upset them. They seem to be perfectly content out there, even though temps are getting down to 10 degrees at night. I'm wondering if I should keep fighting with them over it, or just let them determine for themselves, where they should roost at night. Thanks!

Chickens are surprisingly hardy...those feathers really insulate them well. They probably are fine down to -20F if the wind isn't blowing on them! Would be more concerned with frostbite on the combs....

How many birds and ages?
Size of coop(feet by feet)?
Length of roost?

Are you sure there aren't any pests in coop?
Mites like to hide in the coop cracks and crevices by day and come out and night to feed on the birds.

Maybe leave them in the coop for couple days/nights to re-establish habit of roosting in coop?
Remove any roosts in pen until coop roosting is a habit again?

Back
Top Bottom