Chickens don't want to be spoiled..

We've actually had some progress and it's over..... OATMEAL. Like really? THAT'S WHAT YOU'LL COME RUNNING FOR? The worst breakfast food on Earth? And also salmon. They did LOVE that but that was to be expected. :p

Mine love cottage cheese and sardines packed in water.
I only give sardines occasionally but it’s gone in seconds!
I mushed a little for my 4 week old chicks on the terra cotta plant saucer I use as a dish.
The keep away game began!
Soft wet foods are usually preferred and especially protein.
I’ve given tiny pieces of apple that I pulled off with my fingernails. Very small!
Always offer chick grit if you give treats and be sure never to give too much.
Sometimes it’s like they don’t know what’s food lol.

Mine rarely eat treats...they just ignore them. I have tried strawberries, grapes, carrot tops, and other things. The only things they ate were lettuce (in a suet container) and cantaloupe. I put a whole slice of cantaloupe in the run and they ate it down to the rind within minutes.

And if you think chickens are picky then wait till you get ducks. My ducks are even more picky!!!!!!!
My gals are so greedy that they'll bite the hand that feeds them. They get all kinds of veggies, kale and collard greens, string beans, peas, corn...only AFTER they've finished their feed first, even if it takes a few days. It's not an everyday thing.

I'll boil some pasta and add some veggies, their own hard boiled eggs and some of their feed, topped with garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Sorta looks like some Alfredo mix. They go crazy when I leave the pasta whole, and go running around with their piece to eat off by themselves. Sometimes, I chop up a steak or pork chop in thin strips and boil it with the pasta. They go crazy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom