Chickens don't want to use their run

shannan

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 13, 2009
My 10 week old chickens have been raised inside and we have just finished building their run off the coop. While we have been working on it in weekends the chickens have been let out and they have been happy to hang around outside. Now it's finally finished, I have been out to see them and they are all still sitting in the coop. It seems when I'm out there they are happy to come out but I can't be with them all day!!
I could close the door so they are stuck out there all day but not sure whether that is a very fair thing to do. I've put their feed and water outside so they have to go out but has anyone else got any suggestions?
I understand they have been raised inside, but they couldn't wait to get outside whenever I went up and opened the door previously.

welcome-byc.gif

I am new here too. Give the chickies time. Leave the door open during the day. I think they will explore & they will like being in the run.

Mine are doing the same thing! Mine are also 10 weeks old. I think that they are just too "chicken" I locked all of mine out yesterday while we did some things to the door and they all seemed to like it but now today they won't go out. Silly chickens!! i guess they do what they want to do.

Can you aquire flats of wheat grass? Chickens eat A LOT of grass (no herbacides/pesticides, of course). Most of my chickens are free range, but the little sebrights are in an enclosure and have a wheatgrass flat they love to pick at. Greens are really important for nutrition and digestion (otherwise, why would the free-rangers eat so much?)

welcome-byc.gif

Mine are almost 8 wks old and spend a lot of time inside their coop, too. They were raised in my living room, but we put them outside last week. When I walk outside to check on them, they all come running out to visit me, but once I go back inside, they go inside too. Silly chickens! I'd say just leave the door open and they'll go outside when they want to...
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom