Chickens drooling and lethargic, HELP!

Rhythmoflove_11

In the Brooder
May 21, 2019
Went outside and one of my chickens hatched in April, was by herself, drooling from her beak, puffed up and very lethargic. She’s making a kind of gargling/heavy breathing sound and it’s like she keeps kinda sneezing. The drool from her beak was clear, but thicker. Doesn’t seem to be anything from her nose. She’s almost just standing on one leg and she’s kinda hanging her head. She’s barely eating or drinking.
1FB68B24-44D0-4681-AF68-D453D9612FBE.jpeg

She’s super puffed up.

Then I noticed one of my chicks born in the middle of July is also doing it, except he seems even more lethargic and is standing there just closing his eyes. He has all the other symptoms my other girl does.
One more might have it, but I’m not sure.
We have about 5 too many in their space, as we had a raccoon get into our other coop/area about two weeks ago, twice, and we had to move the lone survivor to the more secure place. And we also have 4 chicks born in July that are roos that will be gone, soon. We’re planning on making a bigger run this week.
What could it be? I’m kinda freaking out.

What do you feed including treats?
I would check her crop to make sure it's emptying and also look inside her beak for any lesions or canker.
If her crop is squishy, hard, doughy, etc., then I would begin treating her. If possible, place her in a kennel by herself with just water for the day so you can monitor her and get a good look at her poop too. If she's drooling, then she doesn't need anything to eat right this minute but make sure there's water.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

What do you feed including treats?
I would check her crop to make sure it's emptying and also look inside her beak for any lesions or canker.
If her crop is squishy, hard, doughy, etc., then I would begin treating her. If possible, place her in a kennel by herself with just water for the day so you can monitor her and get a good look at her poop too. If she's drooling, then she doesn't need anything to eat right this minute but make sure there's water.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Right now we’re doing flock raiser crumbles by Purina, since we have such little guys in there. We do grass that is chicken safe that we cut up to small pieces, scratch, and they get kitchen scraps, although they haven’t had scraps in a few days. She now has a runny nose and looks so much worse. The boy that was born in July, died last night. And lots of the others are getting the runny nose / coughing. How should her crop feel? She’s barely ate anything and she’s still drooling a ton.

I'm sorry that he died.

Looking at your other thread and your latest reply, you may be dealing with a respiratory disease. The coughing and runny nose doesn't sound too good.
You have consolidated birds together - is there plenty of ventilation where you are housing them now? Could excess droppings/ammonia be part of the problem?

No food getting spilled and getting moldy or wet correct?

Crop should be empty in the morning before eating/drinking.
If she's still drooling and it's been several days, separate her out with only water. No feed.
See what her poop looks like. Look inside her beak. Feel her crop.

I'm sorry that he died.

Looking at your other thread and your latest reply, you may be dealing with a respiratory disease. The coughing and runny nose doesn't sound too good.
You have consolidated birds together - is there plenty of ventilation where you are housing them now? Could excess droppings/ammonia be part of the problem?

No food getting spilled and getting moldy or wet correct?

Crop should be empty in the morning before eating/drinking.
If she's still drooling and it's been several days, separate her out with only water. No feed.
See what her poop looks like. Look inside her beak. Feel her crop.
My mom was just out with them and one of the boys sneezed, blood came out his mouth and then he starting almost seizing. He was still with really labored breathing and then he started lifting his head and making the most pitiful sounds. She thinks he’s dying. Do you have any advice on what I should do to treat them?

There’s lots of ventilation and I don’t think it’s too much ammonia/droppings. No moldy/wet food.

She pooped and it’s was clear mixed with this light yellow. Very runny.

My mom was just out with them and one of the boys sneezed, blood came out his mouth and then he starting almost seizing. He was still with really labored breathing and then he started lifting his head and making the most pitiful sounds. She thinks he’s dying. Do you have any advice on what I should do to treat them?

There’s lots of ventilation and I don’t think it’s too much ammonia/droppings. No moldy/wet food.

She pooped and it’s was clear mixed with this light yellow. Very runny.
Where are you located in the world?

Please get some photos the cockerel, his face, the inside of his beak, etc.

Have they been fighting?

Where are you located in the world?

Please get some photos the cockerel, his face, the inside of his beak, etc.

Have they been fighting?
Central Virginia.

I asked her and she’s going to send me some in a few minutes. I’ll share as soon as I get them. There’s one vet somewhat near us who sees chickens so she’s on the phone trying to figured out if they can give us any advice.

They little Roos play fight, but never super aggressive and I’ve never seen them actually hurt each over of knock one over or anything.

Back
Top Bottom