1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens, Ducks, and Turkeys!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Christin, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Christin

Christin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2013
    I will be raising 25 Light Brahma chicks, 10 Rouen ducklings, and 5 black Spanish turkey poults this spring! I was wondering if I would be able to feed them all turkey starter since the turkey poults require the most protein or would that make my other babies sick? Once they are big enough to go in the coop they will all be going into the same coop and run and I will be feeding them home grown feed next winter!

What has your experience been keeping chickens, ducks, and Turkeys in the same coop?

What would you have done differently if you could start over again?

What do you use for nests?

What problems have you had?

What were the solutions?

How big are your coops?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

It is not a good idea to keep all these species together in the same coop or even in the same area. Not only do they have different feed, space, water, nesting and roosting requirements, but some of these carry diseases that are lethal to the others. And some of them can even harm the others through size and mating issues. So you will do best with all of these species of poultry if you give them their own quarters. [​IMG]

But feel free to stop by the ducks and turkey sections to get help with these birds...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/20/turkeys

Enjoy this new poultry adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

3. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

5. CrazyChookz

CrazyChookz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Chasing Chooks
    Hello and [​IMG] ! We would gladly help with any of your queries, so don't be afraid to ask!

What has your experience been keeping chickens, ducks, and Turkeys in the same coop?
    I don't have experience with these birds in the same coop, but have kept chickens and turkeys before (however the turkeys were not for very long and I don't know much about them.)
    What would you have done differently if you could start over again?
    N/A (never kept chickens, ducks and turkeys in the same coop.)
    What do you use for nests?
    Nesting boxes or bedding, do you mean? I use dried straw for nesting boxes and pine chips for bedding (sometimes lucerne when pine chips are unavailable. Lucerne is good but expensive.)
    What problems have you had?
    I'd say mites and predators is a big problem with my area, but I am in Australia so not sure about your local pests.
    What were the solutions?
    Pestene dust/diatom and new fencing.
    How big are your coops?
    My coop is small, I've only been keeping small flocks for a few years (2-10 chickens).

Hope this was helpful!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. The first breed I ever had were Light Brahmas (about 50 years ago), and they were gentle giants. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks or turkeys, but definitely post on our duck and turkey links that TwoCrows left with you, and take advantage of our duck and turkey experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

9. Christin

Christin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2013
    Ty all!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I've read that chickens can give turkeys Black Head disease, which you wouldn't want. On the other hand some people put baby turkeys with a chicken-chick to serve as a tutor. The chick will show them what to eat and where to get water etc. I guess next to turkeys chicks are pretty smart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by