chickens & ducks cohabiting?

You say your pool has rocks arnd it but is it a kiddy pool or man made? Ours will be getting together soon, the snows just gone, but the nights haven't warmed up much yet. 17 degrees last night. Were working on the ducks house right now. Then it will be the wet section to figure out. Kiddy pool or what we're still up for suggestions! Reading the net,
caf.gif
seems everyone says kiddy pools the easiest.

Since you only have a couple of ducks you may want to try something like this (which is what I'm doing):
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Beckett-35-Gal-Plastic-Patio-Pond-PP1035/202206168

At thirty-five bucks it's not too pricey. It's deeper than a kiddie pool and far more sturdy.

Last year I plumbed a kiddie pool with a drain and pipe to make emptying easy. Just didn't hold up that well. At least you're not out much if you go that route. The pond above I'll be raising above ground using dirt and retaining bricks. I'll also plumb it to drain the water into the garden. Same concept, just a little more permanent.

I plan on putting mine in the same general area but with seperated pens at night. The chicken coop has its own secure run attached to it. The duck area (for night time) will consist of a big dogloo set inside a big chain link dog kennel (with some sort of predator protection on top -any suggestions?). In the "common" area will be the kiddie pool for the ducks. My question now is....is it safe for the chickens to be wandering in the same area as the pool?

Since you only have a couple of ducks you may want to try something like this (which is what I'm doing):
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Beckett-35-Gal-Plastic-Patio-Pond-PP1035/202206168

At thirty-five bucks it's not too pricey. It's deeper than a kiddie pool and far more sturdy.

Last year I plumbed a kiddie pool with a drain and pipe to make emptying easy. Just didn't hold up that well. At least you're not out much if you go that route. The pond above I'll be raising above ground using dirt and retaining bricks. I'll also plumb it to drain the water into the garden. Same concept, just a little more permanent.
sounds good! Thanks!!

Well, I bought a pair of domesticated Mallard ducks on a whim a the chicken swap and it is NOT going well. The drake is chasing them and has caused all but one to fly over our fence (we're in a neighborhood on a busy street!). Today was our second full day and I got an email from my neighbor on the way home. My husband is ****** (at me because I'm the one who wants more animals).

I can keep them separate for a while, but I think I'm going to sell them because I love my chicks and they were here first.

If anyone has a suggestion for how to help them co-habitate I'd love to hear it.

(I have to also add that it is really adorable how much the ducks love each other. When they are separated he Quacks his little face off. Too cute!)

Thanks, y'all!
AC

Well, I bought a pair of domesticated Mallard ducks on a whim a the chicken swap and it is NOT going well. The drake is chasing them and has caused all but one to fly over our fence (we're in a neighborhood on a busy street!). Today was our second full day and I got an email from my neighbor on the way home. My husband is ****** (at me because I'm the one who wants more animals).

I can keep them separate for a while, but I think I'm going to sell them because I love my chicks and they were here first.

If anyone has a suggestion for how to help them co-habitate I'd love to hear it.

(I have to also add that it is really adorable how much the ducks love each other. When they are separated he Quacks his little face off. Too cute!)

Thanks, y'all!
AC
Their own pen separate from the chickens is the only way especially with a drake who will want to mate not only with the duck his life partner but also the hens[chickens] and cover the top of what ever you build for your ducks because Mallards can fly very well.

Back
Top Bottom