Chickens/Ducks not laying

Serendipity2022

Hatching
Jul 18, 2022
I have three chickens and two ducks that stopped laying at the beginning of summer (for over four months.) We live in Florida and it was a very hot / humid summer so I thought possibly that is why they stopped. They also molted but most finished two months ago. They eat organic Scratch and Peck layer feed, organic veggies, organic oatmeal, etc and they free range in my backyard all day. Is this normal, to stop laying for so many months. One chicken has layed about 3 eggs per week (usually she lays daily) but the others haven't laid for over four months. They are all about 2 years old. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

It is uncommon for productive birds to stop laying in summer. Now is the time of year when one should expect fewer eggs.
While scratch and peck is a high quality feed, the problem with it is that birds tend to pick out the seeds, grains and other tasty bits that eliminates the nutritious supplemental goodies added to the feed to make it a complete chicken food. When I use a feed like that, I ferment or wet the feed to make sure they have no choice but to eat all the ingredients because the fines, containing the goodies are bound up in the mass. I would eliminate everything (veggies, oatmeal, etc.) from the diet till things straighten out. My guess is that they are getting insufficient essential amino acids. I would switch to a higher protein feed temporarily or ferment your feed and supplement with some animal protein like fish, chicken/turkey, meat or at least mealworms and crickets.
It takes a lot of protein to kick out a big lump of protein daily. If I am right and they weren't getting enough essential aminos from the previous diet, a higher starter/grower feed and some canned mackerel daily for a couple weeks and you may be back in business. However, the shorter days and their age is working against you.

Last edited:
organic veggies, organic oatmeal, etc
This may be reducing the nutrients in the feed.

and they free range in my backyard all day.
They may be laying out in range area.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom