Chickens dying having eggs - Please Help...

Harley0613

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 25, 2013
Bowling Green, Kentucky
I have Golden Comets, Raised them since Easter, I am feeding them layer pellets mixed with grit. I have had 2 die laying eggs in the last 3 days, I do not know if it was their first time laying or not but it seems that way. It appears that the eggs are too big for them to have without going into details of what their backsides look like. The chickens appear big enough like I said I have had them since Easter as chicks. Please Help..

if your protein is over 18% lower it to 16% -18%. with golden comets you sometimes (depending on feed [brand] and grass intake) have to supplement calcium. if the egg shells are thin, this is your problem. if your chickens are to fat they will have issues too, a golden comet hen over 8 lbs will usually have problems laying.

if its not any of those issues, save some bacon grease, and mix a small amount in the feed a teaspoon of grease to a quart of feed should work. you can also use vegetable oil or olive oil, i just like the animal fat. for a long term fix you can mix 1 part black oil sunflower seeds to 15 parts feed.

Thank you for the input, I have lost a total of 3 now. The eggs are not too thin in fact, they seems too hard. I am in the process of changing the protein level and I am trying the bacon grease. Hopefully that will work.

Sorry for your loss. Have you checked/felt that they are egg bound? When I had one in rehab for a dog attack she became egg bound. It was suggested that I give her a warm sits bath. Just up to her vent. I used one hand to make a jacuzzi effect. I now it sounds a bit much. But the next morning she passed one. So I got say it worked. If you haven't found an answer, try a search under past post. Any best of luck with yours.

Back
Top Bottom