Chickens dying suddenly without cause

We use poison here for rodents. I personally haven't seen any secondary poisoning that I'm aware of.

Corn, or rations in metal cans in the heat can mold. Aflatoxin comes to mind. Not saying that it, but I do notice in summer any feed in metal cans gets moldy quickly if you don't keep an eye on it.
Thanks. This is the first summer we have metal cans out in the yard instead of plastic in the house. I don’t know either whether that’s what’s going on but I am going to replace the feed and storage out of caution now... I hope none die tomorrow from eating more today if that’s the issue...

Thanks. This is the first summer we have metal cans out in the yard instead of plastic in the house. I don’t know either whether that’s what’s going on but I am going to replace the feed and storage out of caution now... I hope none die tomorrow from eating more today if that’s the issue...
Please don't buy the corn again.
The complete balance layer type feed is balanced/complete.

The corn takes away from the balanced diet...which will cause health problems.

Do the feed and corn have any odor other than normal? Any sign of parasites? Any lawn/garden treatment with poisons that could have drifted over? If nothing has really changed, then I'd suspect either feed or parasites. You can get a fresh bag of feed and no corn and feed only the fresh feed, store it somewhere out of the sun if possible, in different container(s).
No odor but I will dig through the 50 pound can tomorrow and see if any moisture or anything is out of sight. No lawn treatments or toxins in my yard. They have an ongoing touch and go issue with poultry lice. It’s been a mess. We moved to the country in a yard that doesn’t drain. It’s always wet and they never get to dust bathe. I’ve been trying to solve that problem since moving out here and I think we will have to relocate the run soon. Parasitic overload would cause some symptom before death though right? I would think pale combs or listlessness?

No odor but I will dig through the 50 pound can tomorrow and see if any moisture or anything is out of sight. No lawn treatments or toxins in my yard. They have an ongoing touch and go issue with poultry lice. It’s been a mess. We moved to the country in a yard that doesn’t drain. It’s always wet and they never get to dust bathe. I’ve been trying to solve that problem since moving out here and I think we will have to relocate the run soon. Parasitic overload would cause some symptom before death though right? I would think pale combs or listlessness?
Lice can kill.
Treat them and the coop weekly with Permethrin spray starting now and continue for no less than 3 straight weeks.

Well. I guess I’ll also spray them tomorrow. I have some permethrin spray for horse and poultry. It makes me nervous to use chemicals honestly I’m always afraid I’ll spray too much but I guess I have to do something about the lice then Besides DE.
Use the spray asap.
DE is worthless.

Back
Top Bottom