39C9080C-C2F8-4806-ADD1-27F6ABE10381.jpeg

3BBB883F-5A33-4DF5-9B04-D8EE2C0E975B.jpeg
2442820B-B70A-4EB1-B570-035108BCE0E7.jpeg

Attachments

• 9C938EC0-543D-4648-B70B-5ABACA41DBB3.png
    9C938EC0-543D-4648-B70B-5ABACA41DBB3.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
Sorry the pics are sideways.
The coop usually has a nestbox top I took it out today because I didn’t want them in the run where there’s food.
That poop is odd. Also that chickens vent is sorta like she’s trying to poop and it looks like there’s evidence of diarrhea stuck to her feathers. No ones dead this morning as usually, how many die today by evening though unfortunately I can’t predict.

I don’t know how to send them off for necropsy besides driving to my the university of Kentucky in person which is about three hours away, I’m pregnant with hypermesis and have a toddler and am terrified of covid. It’s really a last option for me.
I took away all the food and covered any areas with wet scratch. I hope everyone makes it today.... huff.
Thanks again for everyone’s time and knowledge.

I don’t know how to send them off for necropsy besides driving to my the university of Kentucky in person which is about three hours away, I’m pregnant with hypermesis and have a toddler and am terrified of covid. It’s really a last option for me.
Please don't get worked up. Take a deep breath and calm down. :hugs

We will all try and help you find out what is wrong investigating possibilities one at a time.

You could just position a tub in a dry space an fill it with fine sand, wooden ash and DE to make a dust-bath for your chicks.

If you suspect something poisonous, maybe even poisonous plants you could make some holy-thistle tea for your chicks. And adding humic acid (a special kind of activated charcoal) to the feed helps to detox and deactivate poison.

Check the coop, roosts, nests etc. at night for poultry mites (blood-sucking kind) and wrap some double-sided adhesive tape around the ends of the roosts right where they connect to the walls. The next morning you might find quite a few mites sticking to the tape if there is an infestation.

Last edited:
1 rooster and two hens found dead in coop at 2pm. (My husband forgot to let them out I’m sick long story).
-1 hen alive and seemingly healthy
1 hen found dead in large walk-in omelet run about 3pm
- 9 hens and one rooster alive
They have an ongoing touch and go issue with poultry lice. It’s been a mess. We moved to the country in a yard that doesn’t drain. It’s always wet and they never get to dust bathe. I’ve been trying to solve that problem since moving out here and I think we will have to relocate the run soon.
I took away all the food and covered any areas with wet scratch.

I agree, I would send one for necropsy if possible. Call your state lab if you lose another, they will instruct you on how to ship the body - often they have a label you can print.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Getting a fecal float is a good idea if there's a way to have someone take a collection of poop to your vet for testing? Or your state lab may also do that - every state is different in what services they provide.

Do they have access to fresh clean water all the time? There's a lot of urates - I'm thinking hydration is something I would focus on.

You also mention that you covered any areas with wet scratch - does this mean there are areas where food/scratch may be on the ground, getting wet?
Feed can mold quickly -even overnight. It was an accident, but one year I spilled a small amount of feed outside my run, it was late and I decided I would shovel it up in the morning - that feed was going green/moldy by morning in our warm humid environment. Thankfully, my birds did not have access to that. I take out what they generally will eat in a day - I use feed cups hung inside the run. I only give a small amount of scratch in the evening - only what they will clean up in about 10-15 minutes. I take up feed cups and bring them inside every night. Feed attracts rodents (yep, I've trapped some!) so having nothing to attract them helps tremendously in controlling unwanted guests. I do put out traps a few times a month, but have yet to catch anything in probably 9 months.
Mold and/or spoiled feed can definitely make birds sick and take them out in a day or two.

Also - I'm a bit confused about how many birds you have. I count 14 now? Do they all sleep in the coop? It may be a bit tight quarters if 14 are in there. Overheating could be part of your problem. I'm not saying it is - just something to consider.

I can't imagine what you are dealing with - I've never lost several birds at one time. On top of that you have a baby on the way (Congrats!!!) and oh boy, a toddler LOL You have a lot going on, so please try not to stress - it's understandable for sure.
We will try to make suggestions and help you along the way. Please keep in mind, what I say is suggestions - it's not judgement at all. I have made mistakes along the way and I think we are all here to help and support one another the best we can.

Seconding @Wyorp Rock here - we've all had things go wrong when we didn't expect it, and sometimes struggled to figure out what was wrong and how to correct it, if it was correctable. I still have things go wrong. Bouncing it off us is just a way to brainstorm possibilities.

One thing to do if you have the opportunity is to try getting a bag or two of sweet plz granules (some places sell something called Stall Freshener which I think is the same thing) - it will absorb moisture, convert ammonia to nitrogen, and reduce any smell. If you can get some chopped straw to spread on top of that, to give them a dry surface to walk on, that might help as well. Make sure the feed is in clean containers - I have often used plastic dog bowls from the dollar store for chicks/juveniles/unexpected isolation or other situations, and one thing I like about them is they are easy to clean and disinfect, and pretty inexpensive, so when (not if, I am clumsy) I step on them and break them I have a few extras I can replace them with. I also found if I put the feeders and waterers up on overturned black rubber feed pans or a few patio blocks, not only does it put the feed and water at a better height for them to eat, it keeps a lot of debris out of the feed and water.

It looks like you are using a plastic coop, so I am less inclined to think they have mites or lice, they usually show up in wooden structures.

Congratulations on the impending birth of your baby! Your health and that of the baby are priority one. :hugs

I agree, I would send one for necropsy if possible. Call your state lab if you lose another, they will instruct you on how to ship the body - often they have a label you can print.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Getting a fecal float is a good idea if there's a way to have someone take a collection of poop to your vet for testing? Or your state lab may also do that - every state is different in what services they provide.

Do they have access to fresh clean water all the time? There's a lot of urates - I'm thinking hydration is something I would focus on.

You also mention that you covered any areas with wet scratch - does this mean there are areas where food/scratch may be on the ground, getting wet?
Feed can mold quickly -even overnight. It was an accident, but one year I spilled a small amount of feed outside my run, it was late and I decided I would shovel it up in the morning - that feed was going green/moldy by morning in our warm humid environment. Thankfully, my birds did not have access to that. I take out what they generally will eat in a day - I use feed cups hung inside the run. I only give a small amount of scratch in the evening - only what they will clean up in about 10-15 minutes. I take up feed cups and bring them inside every night. Feed attracts rodents (yep, I've trapped some!) so having nothing to attract them helps tremendously in controlling unwanted guests. I do put out traps a few times a month, but have yet to catch anything in probably 9 months.
Mold and/or spoiled feed can definitely make birds sick and take them out in a day or two.

Also - I'm a bit confused about how many birds you have. I count 14 now? Do they all sleep in the coop? It may be a bit tight quarters if 14 are in there. Overheating could be part of your problem. I'm not saying it is - just something to consider.

I can't imagine what you are dealing with - I've never lost several birds at one time. On top of that you have a baby on the way (Congrats!!!) and oh boy, a toddler LOL You have a lot going on, so please try not to stress - it's understandable for sure.
We will try to make suggestions and help you along the way. Please keep in mind, what I say is suggestions - it's not judgement at all. I have made mistakes along the way and I think we are all here to help and support one another the best we can.
Thank you for the congrats! And thanks for the info on shipping and fecal. I actually do know a vet who does that.
To be blunt, yes they have water and food but no it isn’t to standard. The food is poured in amounts more than they can eat on ground that doesn’t drain well, and the water is in bowls that require refills. This happens as appropriate sized plastic dry food and waterer containers are ignored and is a result of my husband taking over chicken duty and not adhering to the standards I did. We have had a talk and regardless of if he puts more effort into it, I will make sure they no longer have wet food or periods without water and consistent mite treatment as needed.

I currently have nine hens and one roo in that coop run combo. I used to have two Roos 12 hens total split between two of those coops. One coop is now empty. I think the coop currently is about at capacity, but they had previously done very well in it we’ve had it since they hatched three years ago. Something new is going on and devastating their health. I will keep an eye on them overheating at night though, just as an added measure during whatever is weakening them right now. I’m sure they can’t tolerate much stress at all

Thanks for your sympathy. I hope the changes I’ve made are enough but I guess it’s largely a supportive waiting game.

If you know anything about what a softly gradated black to a comb means in terms of whether it eliminates or supports poisoning, mites, or disease please let me know. I’m gathering it can be anything that compromises organs pertaining to circulation, but I’m not familiar with what people usually see with things.

Seconding @Wyorp Rock here - we've all had things go wrong when we didn't expect it, and sometimes struggled to figure out what was wrong and how to correct it, if it was correctable. I still have things go wrong. Bouncing it off us is just a way to brainstorm possibilities.

One thing to do if you have the opportunity is to try getting a bag or two of sweet plz granules (some places sell something called Stall Freshener which I think is the same thing) - it will absorb moisture, convert ammonia to nitrogen, and reduce any smell. If you can get some chopped straw to spread on top of that, to give them a dry surface to walk on, that might help as well. Make sure the feed is in clean containers - I have often used plastic dog bowls from the dollar store for chicks/juveniles/unexpected isolation or other situations, and one thing I like about them is they are easy to clean and disinfect, and pretty inexpensive, so when (not if, I am clumsy) I step on them and break them I have a few extras I can replace them with. I also found if I put the feeders and waterers up on overturned black rubber feed pans or a few patio blocks, not only does it put the feed and water at a better height for them to eat, it keeps a lot of debris out of the feed and water.

It looks like you are using a plastic coop, so I am less inclined to think they have mites or lice, they usually show up in wooden structures.

Congratulations on the impending birth of your baby! Your health and that of the baby are priority one. :hugs
Thanks for the congrats! And for the suggestions. I will be making all the improvements i can for them.

Back
Top Bottom