Chickens eating dog food

My only concern is quality of the dog food. Many brands have questionable ingredients (including Pedigree, sorry) even though they have great marketing to entice the public to buy it. Even Science Diet which sounds like it should be good and is touted as "the best for your dog" or Beniful (aghh!! the stuff is awful!) are marginal at best. Those dirty rats...
rant.gif
. If we are going to eat the eggs from our hens or their meat then I wouldn't let them eat much of the dog or cat food unless its a known good quality of food (no by products which can be from down, dead, dying animals or even euthanised family pets). I am not in favor of our dogs and cats eating it either but that's my choice--and at least we don't eat our dogs (yuck--horrible thought!) and it therefore doesn't effect our diet or our children's. I feed all my fur babies a non grain quality diet called EVO. They also have a diet with some grains called INNOVA by the same company and all their diets are made in the USA with USA ingredients in their own USA inspected plant. Not saying you have to change your dog's diet as its a personal decision but if the hens eat it then we are too. OK, I can get carried away with my soapbox but all that recalled food for China and films of the DDD animals put in our pet food hits me hard.
hide.gif
So my opinion of the hens eating it is not to--unless its a better food.

thank you chickerdoodle!! Its funny that you mention this because this morning I was researching dog food and somewhere I found a list of rated foods. NONE of the Purina products get a good rating. I will definitely be switching brands as I had no idea. I'll check EVO, I appreciate the tip. I totally agree with you, I'm just less well educated.
yippiechickie.gif

I have to agree about the QUALITY of dog/cat/chicken food! I SADLY found out by experience. I fed BENIFUL to my yorkie, health problems, she died early with breast cancer, multiple surgeries and tears, THE I was educated and i seek out 4 and 5 star rated foods for all our animals that depend on us to make the BEST choice for them! Pet smart or another pet specialty has LOTS of GOOD choices. right now i am choosing Simply Nourish", I read the ingredients of EVERYTHING!

I've wondered this aswell cause they love it as a snack! They already eat anything available if on ground like scraps, etc. I feed my chickens Purinia Layena Pellets everyday.

They are probably craving extra protein. A layer ration usually isn't enough protein for most backyard flocks, a protein content of 18-20% is better as layer can leave them deficit.

Back
Top Bottom