chickens eating eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trooper, Dec 27, 2013.

1. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    I am getting eggs and when I go to clean them sometimes they are braking[​IMG] in my hands.A friend of mine just started with chickens this past summer and his son was feeding them Oyster Shells in their feed and he said that the eggs were real hard to crack.I do have a hen that is eating eggs from time to time and I am going to try this and see how it goes.It's just an idea but I think it's worth trying.[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    There is a BYC article with tips on breaking egg eaters. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/six-tips-on-breaking-your-egg-eater Are you feeding Layer feed? Even though it is supposed to be complete, if they are getting a lot of treats or eating enough other food they could be short on calcium, some hens, older ones especially don't seem to be able to utilize calcium right anymore either. A lot of people offer oyster shell free choice as a precaution. You do want to watch what you mix in their feed, since you can give them too much calcium.

3. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG]I am feeding Layer Pellets.The oyster shell I do give free choice as well as grit.My hens aren't but about 2 and some younger.I have found evidence where eggs have been eaten in the boxes and I have had them to break in my hand.I don't know for sure if the girls that are breaking them themselves or by the hens sitting[​IMG] on them.Thanks for the info.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by