1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens eating less on layer feed???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by zekintha, Jan 22, 2016.

1. zekintha

zekintha Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2015
    Long Island
    My girls are are about 8-6 months old. All are laying and all free range during the day. I just switched them (on Monday) from
    Grower/starter feed (wanted to use what I had before bought more) to layer feed. When they were on the grower I would fill their food bowl every day, sometimes twice, since Monday I've only had to fill it twice. Seems
    Like they are eating less now then they were on the other. Does layer feed full them
    Up faster and last longer??? I'm even giving them less treats then before and now with the cold, there's not much grass, plants or bugs around.

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    There are few things that are in play here, but first you should know and keep in mind that chickens don't eat when there hungry and stop when there full. Chickens eat to fill a caloric need (about 1250 to 1350 Kcal/LB of Metabolized Energy) when that need is met they stop eating. This is one of the reasons why chickens will never over eat and get fat when there on a proper diet.

If your Starter/ Grower is a lower energy feed than your Layer your birds would eat less Layer than the Starter/ Grower because there caloric need is being met sooner on the Layer than on the Starter/ Grower, also you have cut back on treats and there eating less grass which can deplete the amount of energy in a feed and in turn make them eat more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by