Chickens egg eating. HELP

aprice0417

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
I have an egg eating problem among my chickens. I have tried every thing I have found. Tried putting pepper and mustard in egg. I do all the prevention techniques. Any suggestions for me?

Some times just putting curtains up will help. It stopped my neighbors chickens!
D.gif

Their is only one way to really truely solve the problem, freezer camp. You can't rehome or give away an egg eater, you can't train them not eat their eggs once they start, and that's the truth. They will teach the others to do the same if you don't rid your coop of them now. I have had several in the past years and none!!!! ever ever ever quit eating eggs. Think about it.

In my situation, my hen began egg pecking/eating after I built a new nesting box. The original was about 9" high and 12" deep and wide. My new nesting box was 12"W x 12"H x 12"L. https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=82770#New%20Nest%20Box%20and%20Perch

In
the original nesting box, they could barely move around in the box. In the new boxes, they are able to move around more freely.

I did what others recommended by putting mustard, tabasco, white pepper in a half eaten egg and gave it to my Delaware and the others. They did not like my sauce.

I also put cardboard atop each nesting box, effectively making it 1-2" shorter.

Yesterday, my Delaware egg was not eaten or cracked.

I will provide updates. However, if the Delaware continues to eat the eggs, I will slope the bottom of the nest to allow it to roll away to the back. If that doesn't work, I am going to have Delaware fried chicken.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Three days since I made the nesting box smaller and gave them a taste of an egg filled with my concoction and the Delaware has laid two eggs and neither was eaten.

I am thinking that lowering the height of the nest box from 12" to 10"ish is keeping the Delaware from pecking. Time will tell.

Quote:
Three days since I made the nesting box smaller and gave them a taste of an egg filled with my concoction and the Delaware has laid two eggs and neither was eaten.

I am thinking that lowering the height of the nest box from 12" to 10"ish is keeping the Delaware from pecking. Time will tell.

It's been three weeks now and my hens have not eaten any eggs. I am betting that making the nest smaller in height than 12" is what is keeping the hens from eating their eggs.

Back
Top Bottom