Chicken's eyes close and open.

marvun22

Songster
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
North Dakota
I have an Easter Egger. 1 year 5 months old. She has been getting skinnier this winter. She is extremely thin right now when this is happening. She stopped moving and all that so I moved her to my greenhouse (which is 40 degrees, while my outside is 0). She stopped shivering and ate and drank some, but she has had a weird eye situation. I was visiting a relative who had a stroke. When I got back, both her eyes were closed. I stuck her beak in the water multiple times and she drank and one eye opened. Later, another opened, but then I was getting her more water and then sometime aroudn then both closed again. What could be causing the eye opening and closing? And how can I help her out and make it better if possible? And if you need more details, don't be afraid to ask.

Are her eyes swollen or have any eye drainage? Has she been wormed lately, and if so, with what? Is she moving okay now, or does she have any problem movings her legs, wings, or holding up her neck? I would give her some electrolyte water, or put a teaspoon of sugar and 1/4 tsp of salt in the water for a day or two until she is drinking well and eating. What do her droppings look like? Can you try giving her some scrambled egg and chickens feed mixed with warm water? How is the ventilation in her coop?

Last edited:
Are her eyes swollen or have any eye drainage? Has she been wormed lately, and if so, with what? Is she moving okay now, or does she have any problem movings her legs, wings, or holding up her neck? I would give her some electrolyte water, or put a teaspoon of sugar and 1/4 tsp of salt in the water for a day or two until she is drinking well and eating. What do her droppings look like? Can you try giving her some scrambled egg and chickens feed mixed with warm water? How is the ventilation in her coop?
Her eyes don't seem to be swollen or have drainage. I haven't dewormed her. Are you thinking she could have worms? She has slight problems moving. She walks very slowly, her legs basically walking in slow motion. The Ventilation in the coop should be fine. It's not even really a coop. It's just basically a pen in my (cold) barn. I will have to look at the feces.

Worms could be a cause of losing weight and not feeling well. Does she lay eggs? Many different things can cause problems moving or walking. Internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, worms, or enteritis could possibly be a cause. Has she been molting recently--that can cause a lot of stress in chickens. I would get some Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer and start off by worming her with 1/2 ml or cc given orally, and repeat in 10 days. Vitamins and probiotics in her water or feed can help build up her immunity. Poultry Booster by Rooster Booster is an inexpensive brand that many feed stores carry.

Worms could be a cause of losing weight and not feeling well. Does she lay eggs? Many different things can cause problems moving or walking. Internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, worms, or enteritis could possibly be a cause. Has she been molting recently--that can cause a lot of stress in chickens. I would get some Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer and start off by worming her with 1/2 ml or cc given orally, and repeat in 10 days. Vitamins and probiotics in her water or feed can help build up her immunity. Poultry Booster by Rooster Booster is an inexpensive brand that many feed stores carry.
No molting. No laying eggs either from what I know (there are so many places in my barn where they could be hidden).

Okay here's now what I've noticed. Her breast looks like that of a normal chicken (like a Buff Orp or Barred Rock) while her weight is definitely not. She isn't doing the penguin stance, but she does seem to be standing and never have I seen her sit down since I've took her in. She also does not seem to walk hardly at all, only to move between the food and water. Her feces are a greenish-brown and there are spots that are yellowish green.

She could be under weight because of the "worm issue" but sounds like her body is shutting down because she is freezing to death - they show the symptoms your describing moving slow and stiff before they die from freezing to death - get the electrolytes in her and get her inside where its warm !

Okay here's now what I've noticed. Her breast looks like that of a normal chicken (like a Buff Orp or Barred Rock) while her weight is definitely not. She isn't doing the penguin stance, but she does seem to be standing and never have I seen her sit down since I've took her in. She also does not seem to walk hardly at all, only to move between the food and water. Her feces are a greenish-brown and there are spots that are yellowish green.
How does her crop feel? Is it empty, full and hard, or full and squishy? Is she eating and drinking well? Does her breastbone or keel feel prominent? It may do her well to bring her inside to warm her up, at least until you can figure out her problem. I would go ahead and worm her too. If a vet is possible, you may want to get her checked out tomorrow. They can look for worms, coccidiosis, enteritis, crop problems (impacted or sour,) and other problems.

She could be under weight because of the "worm issue" but sounds like her body is shutting down because she is freezing to death - they show the symptoms your describing moving slow and stiff before they die from freezing to death - get the electrolytes in her and get her inside where its warm !
She is inside. She's in our greenhouse where it is around 40-50 F generally. I could turn the heat up in there. She was perfectly fine until it got to the single digits.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom