Chickens feathers looking ragged

Spambergg

In the Brooder
May 1, 2023
I have 5 hens. The one missing the feathers on her back first started losing her feathers a few months ago. The rest of her looked normal. I assumed she was starting to molt. They are exactly a year old. This week she really started looking rough. The feathers on her neck are sparse and frizzled. Now 4 out of 5 of the other hens are losing feathers and developing patches of thinning. They are their usual active selves. I've never seen them attacking one another. They are all laying normally. Eating and drinking normal. Is this some type of mite issue or are they attacking each other when we aren't around? I can't find any mites on them.
IMG_4352.jpeg
IMG_4351.jpeg
IMG_4348.jpeg
IMG_4346.jpeg
IMG_4345.jpeg
IMG_4344.jpeg

Typically, hens that lose feathers like that means they are stressed. You can tell by how they are losing only a little on their neck, this is also known as "mini molts." Are they being bullied? Are they broody or raising any chicks? Do they have enough space?

Typically, hens that lose feathers like that means they are stressed. You can tell by how they are losing only a little on their neck, this is also known as "mini molts." Are they being bullied? Are they broody or raising any chicks? Do they have enough space?
They don't appear to be broody. No chicks either. I am located in Pennsylvania so we are coming out of winter where they weren't out of their run for several months. The run is 16'x4'x5'. Maybe letting them out free range for a bit every evening would help with the boredom. Thanks for the thoughts

One or more of them is feather picking. it can be caused by boredom, right spaces and low protein diet. I'd cut out the scraps and feed them some chick feed or a high protein layer feed.

I am having the EXACT same problem with several of my hens (also about a year old). Same ragged feathers in the same places and same feather loss in the same places as in your pix. I am in El Paso TX. Winter is very mild and they were out in their very large enclosure every day. No roosters. Not broody. No chicks. I don't see them pecking at each other except when they're settling in at night and jostling for the best spots in the roosting bars. Plus losing feathers on the front of the neck would be hard to explain that way. I will say that the slightly younger ones (further down on the totem pole) do seem more affected. I don't see them scratching or preening excessively. We live in the desert and their entire run is pretty much sandy dirt and they take dirt baths regularly. They are laying like champs - all of them 6-7 eggs a week and are energetic and acting normal. They get Purina 16% protein layer feed and some black soldier fly larvae treats 2-3 times a week. No table scraps. I did have oyster shell out for them for a while but haven't refilled it recently. I looked for mites briefly (not too hard) and assumed that's what it was but have been dusting the coop every few days with diatomaceous earth. Have also been occasionally applying small amounts to the affected areas. But it's just getting worse....

Back
Top Bottom