Chickens feathers lost on back and wings seems to be spreading

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ncdecoys8075, Aug 29, 2013.

1. ncdecoys8075

ncdecoys8075 New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    I have bared rock hens The feathers on their backs and tops of the wings are missing Was told it was probably Lice have treated them no seen improvement .
    I used the red earth from tractor supply. I It's not from moltin it started in February and has continued until now . A few hens do not have this or the rooster and 12 white leg horns this may they show no signs of this . Any thoughts

2. walkerbrens

walkerbrens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Any possibility that your rooster is a little over zealous in the love making department. I did have feather loss on the back and wings of my girls for a bit and it was the rooster. Just a thought. I'd be interested in what others think.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that your rooster is overmating those hens. Often roosters pick "favorites", and those hens will suffer feather loss on their backs, necks, and heads. To alleviate this, you can get more hens, put chickens "saddles" on the hens, or get rid of the rooster.

4. ncdecoys8075

ncdecoys8075 New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    I have 35 hens of the rocks and 12 leg horns hens no lost on the leg horns the have started laying
    U think he could be doing this I will try to up load a few pics . Have no problem eat him he was a mistake

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by