Chickens feathers turning black around tail area! Whats's wrong?!?!

blue2jade

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 4, 2014
Like the title said, the tail feather's of one of my chickens are turning black at the tips. She's one of two buff orpingtons that I own, and the other one is showing no similar signs. Is it mildew? Is it some kind of fungus? Anyone who has any ideas please help! Thank you.

Like the title said, the tail feather's of one of my chickens are turning black at the tips. She's one of two buff orpingtons that I own, and the other one is showing no similar signs. Is it mildew? Is it some kind of fungus? Anyone who has any ideas please help! Thank you.
If you're sure no mites, then likely you have a hatchery BO like mine…2 of 3 have black speckles on tips of their tails..guess they aren't pure blooded? But love mine anyway.

I'm pretty sure they're not mites, because the black is part of their feathers, not like bugs on top of them. Thank you.

Sounds like yours are related to mine. As long as they are happy, healthy then don't worry about it. If they aren't laying yet, you are in for a surprise..only heavy large and extra large from those ladies.

They only just started laying about a week ago, so the eggs are still small. Plus, I can't tell them apart from my barred rock's eggs, or my speckled sussex's. Sounds like I might be able to once they are full size.

My BR eggs are round on bottoms point on top….BO's are more oval - bottom larger , top smaller but more round than BR.
They all start small and get bigger. Watch for patterns in shapes and you'll start to be able to tell them apart.

That's great to hear. I was beginning to wonder if I would ever figure it out. My chickens almost always lay while I'm at school, so I never hear them/see them laying.

That's great to hear. I was beginning to wonder if I would ever figure it out. My chickens almost always lay while I'm at school, so I never hear them/see them laying.

I work full-time, but have coop surveillance with cheap cameras from walmart. When mine were just starting to lay, would listen and watch on camera to see who was entering the nests…so much fun…If you can afford, look into it…most can video record and you can watch when you get home. Morning egg songs are the spice of life.

That sounds great, I will look into it. I thought about this a while ago, but I wasn't sure how expensive cameras would be, or where to get them. It sounds like they're not too hard to find. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom