Chickens feeding other chickens?

RidgesideBeauty

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
East Tennessee
Saw the funnest behaviour today, not sure if this is typical?

I brought out some egg salad kitchen scraps for my birds, but didn't have enough to divide it into two bowls for the two sides of my coop (it has a chicken wire divider down the center so I can keep two groups separate). So I had to pick a favourite side today. One of the hens on the non-favourite side of the day was distressed and whining, so my genle Dominique rooster on the other side picked up some egg salad in his beak, extended it through the wire to the other hen, and she ate it. I would have thought it a fluke... but I watched him do it four more times. So cute!!!
big_smile.png

Anyone else ever seen this... is this typical?

It was incredibly sweet! It resulted in a lot of weird responses though when I excitedly called some of my friends to tell them the story.

"I just watched Lady Gaga feed a hen egg salad!"
"You... what?"
hmm.png

HAHAHHAjfksl;jflkas;djf;kasjfl;awfd... your rooster's name is lady gaga...??? it better be some crazy looking polish loud mouth with a huge beak...

that's why i love my roosters... i love watching them feed their hens and sometimes chicks... and then they dance for them too... my roo's treat all of their hens like queens...

Back
Top Bottom