Chicken's feet changing color

sarahbobo

Chirping
Nov 12, 2021
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hi, this is my 7 year old Welsummer hen, Bon. Over the last couple months, I've noticed her feet and legs being red, and she's developed dark spots. The spots aren't specific to particular scales, the pigment, whatever it is, appears to be underneath the scales. This morning, her right outer toe is turning gray, the same kind of darkening that's been happening in spots, and her feet are more red. The picture didn't capture how red they are.

It's been getting into to around 15 Fahrenheit the last few nights, but my Polish's and brahma bantam's feet are fine, and from what I know, Welsummers are cold-hardy breeds. (Edit: Plus, her feet were red and developing dark spots long before it was getting to freezing.) I have some chicken booties on hand. Should I put those on her?

The flock also has scaly leg mites, which they've been getting ivermectin for.

1641226523041.png

Last edited:
I should add - she's standing a bit weirdly, almost like she's standing back on her heels, and she seems unwilling to move her feet much. When I reached out to touch the dark toe, she didn't move away, which is very unlike her - she hates being touched. She just lifted her other foot up like she was going to move, and left it up there while I watched her, her toes curled.

I should add - she's standing a bit weirdly, almost like she's standing back on her heels, and she seems unwilling to move her feet much. When I reached out to touch the dark toe, she didn't move away, which is very unlike her - she hates being touched. She just lifted her other foot up like she was going to move, and left it up there while I watched her, her toes curled.
I don't have much expertise or experience to help you except that when my chickens let me touch them, it's how I know they're sick. I read an article that said something like they aren't very aware of their surroundings when they get sick. How is she doing now?

Are you able to take anymore pictures of her foot? A side picture and under her foot picture would help a lot. It’s difficult to tell what’s going on in the angle of the current picture.

Back
Top Bottom