Chickens & field fencing - will it keep them in?

Sarahal88

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 31, 2014
We are fencing out perimeter with 48' tall woven wire field fencing. In some places we have fence with smaller gaps near the bottom, but other sections have the same sized square spaces throughout. I'm putting in a picture of the fence with my hand for size reference. I think the spaces are 6' x 9', not positive. I can go measure for sure in a little bit.

Wondering if we can let our chickens range within this fence once they are full grown? I say they will be able to walk right through. My partner says they will be contained by it. Who is right ;)

We have 4 breeds arriving this week - our first chickens. Buff Oprington, Light Brahama, Welsummer, and Barred Rock. 20 in total, but planning to keep 8-10 laying hens and eat the roosters. I can see the buff opringtons and brahmas maybe being too big to fit, but not the smaller ones.

We have a coop with run constructed but would rather let them free range at least some of the time if we can.

What do you think?

If you think they are going to go straight through the fence, what would be the cheapest ideas for chicken proofing it? Is that possible?

Last edited:
All the chooks seem like fairly big ones. I think if they really want to get out, they will but they won't just jump through when they are fully grown. You could probably use the plastic netting with fairly wide holes that covers trees to put around your property which may be cheaper than chicken or other wire. But you always can get chickens that fly over.

Back
Top Bottom