Chickens fighting for roost position

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PApolychem, Jun 7, 2012.

1. PApolychem

PApolychem New Egg

Apr 27, 2012
    My pullets have been in their coop for about 3 weeks now. They have a strange roosting ritual where they climb and crawl all over each other. The apparent goal is the corner spot closest to the window.

Now I understand that they'll fight over the best spot and that the pecking order will decided who gets what spot, but why on earth do they want to be the one crammed into the corner?

Anyways, enjoy this video of them...

2. msladyhawke

msladyhawke Poultry Connoisseur

LOL, good video! Mine fight over roosting positioning too! It takes them forever to settle down for the night.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Based on video, which bird is dominant?

4. PApolychem

PApolychem New Egg

Apr 27, 2012
    The BR and NH that are climbing appear to be higher in the pecking order. They won't quit climbing and pushing over the other birds until they're closer to the window.

Based on behavior in the yard, the NH is dominant.

5. nbchickfarming

nbchickfarming Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2012
    southern, il
    mine do the same thing.....[​IMG] guess they want a window seat

6. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    Mine do the same thing!! Very cute to watch!! Last night my son was having a difficult time at dinner, so I had to put him to bed early. He was so upset that he wouldn't be able to watch the chickens as they got ready for bed. It has become part of our daily routine to watch them every night as they jockey for position on the roost. We have a couple of bantams that always try to scoot under the bigger birds - and sometimes it works!

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    It's normal. No matter how similar you make all of the roosts they will pick one or a place on one that is "the spot" then will fuss and squabble over it. Every night, night after night. It's just a part of chicken society. I think they enjoy it.

8. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Love the video! Last night was the first night I put a younger (but similar in size) group of chickens in with the regular flock. I stayed and watched as they maneuvered around and worked out their sleeping arrangements. I was ready to intervene in case the older ones got too brutal with the younger ones. Some of the younger ones were so confident, they went right up to the highest roost and got the best places - and then faced off the older chickens to keep those places. The older ones ended up shifting down the roost to make room for the young ones. That was a first! Usually the older ones peck the younger ones until they move to the lower and less desired roosts. Chickens are fascinating.

9. PApolychem

PApolychem New Egg

Apr 27, 2012
    Good to hear that this is typical. I thought about moving the roost to provide more "window seats", but I bet you're right. They'll just squabble over a different spot.
    Definitely fun to watch.

10. jpfenimore

jpfenimore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    La Honda, California
    Thanks for this thread. Very helpful! I'm late to this party, but would still love to see the video if possible. When I clicked on it I got a message that it is marked private.
    Jamie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by