Chickens fighting the system

mnjpando

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 16, 2010
So I learned as much as possible on here prior building my coop. Just yesterday I picked my first chickens 5 RIR hens and 1 RIR rooster. My concerns are #1 thee birds are not free range they are in a run with an attached coop. With three nesting boxes. They did not go in it last night. Will they just go in it on there own and will they go in it during the day. I know for sure they did not go in it last night.

Also When I got my food feeder tray the guy at the feed store said I should just put it in the coop with the nesting boxes not in the run. Is this correct? They are not going into the coop yet to feed.

What do I do to get them in the coop. And where should i put the feed?

BTW these are all purchased as 1 yr old laying hens and A 1 Yr old rooster.

Welcome to BYC...what a great Coop.

I think your birds just need to get used to it. Once they figure it out, you'll be fine.

I keep my food in the coop to prevent predators from smelling it easier. But some others do it differently. I think its a matter of choice.

Kim

I lock my chickens in the henhouse for a week or so, not letting them outside at all. That way they learn that this is "home". Then they will lay their eggs there, eat there, and return there at dusk. I also put my food in the henhouse to keep it dry, and away from other critters. Good luck.

Your coop could use some windows and ventilation. If you keep them locked in the coop for a day or 2 they will go back in for water and food.

the whole roof ridge is raised 4 Inches with chicken wire wrapped around it for venting

I used one with a that set up last year, takes them a week or two to sort out the ramp. I hung my feeder off a hook under the house, so the feed wouldn't get wet.

I wouldn't worry too much. With everything being new to these birds, it may take a good two weeks for them to feel comfortable enough for their systems to get back to normal and begin laying eggs. Since you have the area under the housing available, I'd put your feeder under there to protect it from rain. If your hens aren't eating (can't get to food for whatever reason, even if it's fear of going inside the coop), then they're definitely not going to lay anytime soon. Once they learn to go inside, then you could move the feed. You do want them inside at night, as it's safter for your birds.

I understand that you have your coop vented, but if they are to spend any time at all in there, saying during inclement weather or during their first week so's they know this is home, then they need a window to let in light. Chickens are very photo sensitive creatures. Besides, in the dark they can't find their nest boxes or food and water if you plan to keep it in there.

Did your hens and rooster all come from the same seller? If not then they need to get used to one another (And if not then they ought to have been quarantined for a minimum of 30 days.

Jenny

Back
Top Bottom