Chickens fighting

Buddy1

Hatching
Jan 19, 2021
I had 2 chickens but one died, so we got 2 more bluebells to accompany our brown however they have been fighting a lot the bluebells are a lot bigger and younger, will thus sort itself out or will i have to seperate them, i dont want any harm to come to my original brown chicken

Pecking order has to play out.

normally, new chickens are introduced to the existing flock over the course of several days or a couple of weeks. You have to physically separate the new from the old, but be able to interactwith each other. So, a fence or a large dog cage, etc.

If it is just old chickens reprimanding the new, and no blood, then they will figure it out. When blood is drawn, you will need to separate them. The old ones can kill the new ones.

add another feeder and waterer, as the old ones can keep the new ones from eating and drinking. When you add the extra feeder snd waterer, you need to put it in a different location that the existing ones.

Pecking order has to play out.

normally, new chickens are introduced to the existing flock over the course of several days or a couple of weeks. You have to physically separate the new from the old, but be able to interactwith each other. So, a fence or a large dog cage, etc.

If it is just old chickens reprimanding the new, and no blood, then they will figure it out. When blood is drawn, you will need to separate them. The old ones can kill the new ones.

add another feeder and waterer, as the old ones can keep the new ones from eating and drinking. When you add the extra feeder snd waterer, you need to put it in a different location that the existing ones.

Its not just pecking once she is in the corner hiding the new bigger ones keep scratching and pecking at her, she was malting before but has now lost a fair more feathers, and due to bird flu we have to keep them in the small enclosure, we have no other enclosures for them to sleep in overnight

Is there any feather pulling, blood, tackling? That is bullying behaviour and is problematic. If it is just pecks then that’s them figuring out the pecking order. I recommend having at least 2 water sources (more if you can) and same with food.
Its not just pecking once she is in the corner hiding the new bigger ones keep scratching and pecking at her, she was malting before but has now lost a fair more feathers, and due to bird flu we have to keep them in the small enclosure, we have no other enclosures for them to sleep in overnight

Welcome to BYC!!
What type of integration did you do?
We kept the new, bigger blue bells in a crate beside for about 10 minutes then integrated with the small brown in an outdooe enclosure, brown and blue instantly fightinf with raised neck feathers, they were then let in the garden dor half hour and didnt mix, then chased in fir bed

I do not have enough enclosures for that only the one enclosure for overnight purposes

We kept the new, bigger blue bells in a crate beside for about 10 minutes then integrated with the small brown in an outdooe enclosure, brown and blue instantly fightinf with raised neck feathers, they were then let in the garden dor half hour and didnt mix, then chased in fir bed
The 10 minutes would explain the extra bullying you are seeing and the fighting of 2 against 1.
If you aren't able to crate those two in a dog crate or make a divider of chicken wire, try to provide area the 1 can hide and get away from the others like extra perches and logs so that there aren't areas that the two can gang up on her. Also, make sure your first aid is stocked to help her heal from attacks if it gets too bad.
Be patient, this extra bullying can take some time for the 1 to realize that she is now on the bottom of the pecking order and that she needs to avoid the other 2. Extra food dishes and water container will help to make sure the other 2 don't starve her.

Back
Top Bottom