Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yess, mix it in the feed to look rusty for one day, then a follow up in 10 days. Heat from deadly hot peppers shouldn`t bother the birds. You`ll know as soon as they start eating it if it does. As far as I know, they should like it.........Pop

Quote:
I figured the taste wouldn't bother them since they don't have the taste receptors, I was worried about their intestines, crop, poop vent etc....

Gypsi I hope 2012 starts out better for you! Good luck with the electrical, be safe! Sorry about your truck
sad.png

Glad to hear the molt is going away.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I figured the taste wouldn't bother them since they don't have the taste receptors, I was worried about their intestines, crop, poop vent etc....

It`s HEAT resceptors they don`t have. They taste things really well. They will be fine with it, if they`ll eat it, which they probably will.......Pop

The pepper discussed below is a thread I copied from Chinchilla2 because I thought it was so interesting...in so many ways. Using pepper or peppers for a wormer, I don't know about. My farmer neighbor says he has never wormed a chicken on his farm...so, unless I should have a reason I can see, I don't plan on worming mine either. Why attempt to correct a problem that isn't there? Check out the old timers thread for more info on that subject.

The reply below from Chinchill2, was a response to a thread a guy started on BYC saying he feeds his chickens popcorn with 7-8 tablespoons of black pepper on it everyday to keep his hens laying...which he says works. See what you think about this reply. Worth trying, I'm thinking!!!

Chinchilla2
Overrun With Chickens

E-mail PM
View My BYC Page
Re: feeding Chickens Black pepper
Cayenne pepper, either ground or crushed, (a.k.a. red pepper), jalapenos, ground black peppercorns, and serano peppers are all things I have heard that will keep up or increase egg production. My great grandmother grew chili piquins (what we called turkey peppers) along one fence line for the chickens to eat. Those little dinky things pack a wallop in the heat department and she said that they helped keep the egg production up. I can also remember her making a homemade pepper "soup" type stuff and storing it back for using in the winter time. She'd toss about every type pepper she raised in the garden except the bells into a blender after washing them down and run it on puree til it was just a green goo. She'd give them a 1/2 cup of it in the morning and have a full egg basket in the evening during the winter. She would also give her layer feed a healthy dusting of crushed and ground red pepper every day. She'd buy that stuff in big bottles that resembled quart jars and go through the crushed stuff in a week. Figure roughly 1/2 to a whole cup for 24 birds a day? It's also supposed to help chickens start laying again after a moult.

And no, the eggs tasted like eggs.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the new year's wishes. Trying to get all my bad luck used up in the next 3 or 4 days.

On a good/bad note, my cross-beaked chick that granddaughter wouldn't let me put down is now out of her misery. The deep dish feeding helped her but in the last day or 2 she'd been crying more so yesterday I have her some of her feed on top of oatmeal, and she seemed to get full. And I called granddaughter, who didn't have time to come say goodbye. Came home just now and found her dead by her food dish. poor darling, but there is no cure but culling. And she is no longer hungry. (I was going to use the B-12 Chemtool spray later if she hadn't died, but now I do not have to lie to granddaughter. This is a blessing. I am transparent.)

Well, I haven't seen consistent egg-laying around here since July - don't know that my hens have worms, don't know that they don't have worms. With a wormy dog I see increased food intake, and ribs. My hens look normal, and I haven't put feed in their dish but once in the last week. Their crumble dish is half full, they like to forage. They are production reds and a barred rock. The BR never did lay much, maybe an egg twice a week. So maybe they are wormy?

I am about to move my 4 americauna pullets out to their pen. I'd like to worm them (chemically, I read that necropsy after the pepper-worming), and clean the pen, then move my pullets out. Need a cheap effective worm treatment.

I'm going to do a couple of outlets while it is daylight and I can do a better job inspecting attic wiring for rodent damage, then go to the feed store.

I know they have cat wormer and dog wormer. I don't care if I can eat the eggs or not. I'll just feed them back to the hens, I bought eggs. Been doing that.

I don't know if I can worm (or should worm) 9 week old pullets, but personally I like to get all of the dirty work done at once.
(I just got done re-plumbing the place in early October - the 10 year curse is upon me. And roof time is coming.

Gypsi

Quote:
Are we related? My mom always said you weren't part of our family unless you know how to work on plumbing because every house she ever lived in had plumbing problems, and being WWII vets, they fixed all that themselves (and taught us - whether we wanted to learn or not). Even her visiting was the kiss of death. She came over for Thanksgiving one year 3 months after I'd moved into my brand new house and the sink backed up!
lau.gif

Quote:
That is one of the best threads on BYC!

I think so too. This person had birds dying of a mystery illness and sent one for a necropsy by the state vets. It starts with:

My test results came in today and is proof about why worming them is so important. I had heard a little gurgling and hoarse sounding noises and did wazine a couple of weeks ago, and I plan to do valbazen when it comes in, in a few days. I thought they had respiratory issues and all of that, and it turns out they are grossly infected with parasites. I am sort of swing toward "natural" treatments and I just wanted to add that they had been on DE, garlic, kelp and cayenne daily since I got them. It didn't really help.

Then the necropsy report is copy/pasted. Great thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom