Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you re read what I had a problem with, it always had nothing to do with the question I asked.

I know my birds, well.

They are chickens. Never paid more than $5 for a laying hen. Why? Because they are chickens.

I never said ANYWHERE I "hate" "better" bred birds.Nowhere, ever, I went back and looked. Why are they better? Do they lay eggs? If so, I'm happy. I don't require or want fancy pure bred show birds. I wanted help, and a few were kind enough to help. I thanked those people.
See here is what I don't understand. How is it that I follow the advice on raising chickens on this thread, to maintain a healthy flock, and because I won't buy some rare SOP bird, i'm ALL WRONG?
Walt, thank you. The others who helped thank you.

Geez, they are chickens. They sell for what $1.99 a lb at the grocery store? They are JUST CHICKENS. I
don't care if they are show perfect award winners or my mutts. They are chickens, just chickens. Geez.
I disagree that they are just chickens. Chickens are my hobby and a big part of my life. That's not something to compare to a slab of meat at the grocery store. Some of us actually take this stuff seriously.

I disagree that they are just chickens. Chickens are my hobby and a big part of my life. That's not something to compare to a slab of meat at the grocery store. Some of us actually take this stuff seriously.
I take them very seriously. I care for them like I gave birth to them myself. But they are still just chickens.

We are not debating show this or heritage that or who has better this or that................. that was not the point at all. it was your direction in breeding advice and they were just saying you won't know what will happen or what your going to get, regardless of how well you think you know these hatchery birds who nobody in this entire forum could guess whats in their lineage or what you could possibly even get. they were trying to help make sense of something that seems to not make any sense, that's all. if we are confussed help us............ but give us something to help you with......... we can't breed pipe dreams with hatchery birds.

We are not debating show this or heritage that or who has better this or that................. that was not the point at all. it was your direction in breeding advice and they were just saying you won't know what will happen or what your going to get, regardless of how well you think you know these hatchery birds who nobody in this entire forum could guess whats in their lineage or what you could possibly even get. they were trying to help make sense of something that seems to not make any sense, that's all. if we are confussed help us............ but give us something to help you with......... we can't breed pipe dreams with hatchery birds.
the hens were hatchery stock, yes. The rooster used was not hatchery, and 3rd generation breeding on my property, bred I don't know how many generations before that. Now the black Austrolop is from the same farm, family owned chicken farm for 70 years, who hatched all their own birds. You know, like you guys suggest here. She makes some good looking good producing mutts. I knew this as I do this, therefore I asked about my new project. I'm not asking for a pipe dream, just assistance. Walt and a few others were kind enough to help and I thanked them.

I have 77 chickens, 7 are hatchery stock. The rest aren't.
Thanks for your help as well
smile.png

Last edited:
I did hatch in the incubator. This was the last one to hatch but the only one of its color. It also is just generally not thriving, very lethargic (I've given it water with honey & ACV which perked it up some) and doesn't seem interested in food.

What conditions cause this?

My little one only required some mash (water and feed) for the first week and she was good. If I was near you I would take her I only have a few chickens and am not breading them.

my advice is for fun, i am no chicken breeder , look i have all mutt chickens.. genetically speaking it is a gamble with the birds you have.
take your biggest rooster with good traits and your best layer.and mate them. now you have f1. take the f1 chicks grow them out. take the best of those and breed them to create f2 generation.grow them out now take the best ones from them mate creating f3 and grow them out. now you may have some idea of the dominate traits, i have to remind you to do this will need 2 or 3 different parent stock birds or you will run the risk of inbreeding. there is a lot to breeding than just mating 2 animals. ,maybe someone else can explain it better than me.

my advice is for fun, i am no chicken breeder , look i have all mutt chickens.. genetically speaking it is a gamble with the birds you have.
take your biggest rooster with good traits and your best layer.and mate them. now you have f1. take the f1 chicks grow them out. take the best of those and breed them to create f2 generation.grow them out now take the best ones from them mate creating f3 and grow them out. now you may have some idea of the dominate traits, i have to remind you to do this will need 2 or 3 different parent stock birds or you will run the risk of inbreeding. there is a lot to breeding than just mating 2 animals. ,maybe someone else can explain it better than me.
explained well. Thank you. I have plenty of roosters to go around. Both of your posts have been very helpful . Thanks again

I think what Al6517 meant is that there has been A LOT of focus on this particular question. I have no preference for or against show birds, meat birds, egg birds, etc. That is not the point of me piping in. I just think Al's point was missed even though he said it so well. Basically this forum has been going back and forth about something no one knows but the owner. Stonykill, you say you know your flock well and obviously you do. So....just go with your gut. As Al pointed out, no one else really knows the goal you're going after. It sounds like you have some great ideas and have gotten some great advice. Let everyone know how it goes! :)

I do have to be honest that I've enjoyed reading the last few pages because of how odd they've been. Like Al said...someone asks for advice...someone gives advice...forum gets completely sidetracked because of miscommunication (i.e. who said this and who said that; who meant what and who didn't).

Let's get back to hearing timeless advice from the OTs! :) I'm a newbie and enjoy all the helpful tips!

Are supplements necessary? My birds all seem healthy. Chicks were on medicated feed until a week ago. They have access to plenty of grass, bugs, leaves, etc. I'm trying to be as natural with them as possible so I don't know what I should supplement and what I shouldn't....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom