Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you OT's incubate? I have 2 incubators, a still air and one with a fan. 3 weeks ago I set 81 eggs. When I candled them at day 14 or so, I threw out 21 or so duds including a couple rotten ones..... explosion, smell.... a mess.... had them in the bedroom so the dogs/kids etc.... wouldn't accidentally knock them over. Girlfriend was NOT happy. Anyhow, added water on day 18 or 19, but the room has central air and a fan at night, but ended up with 25 chicks and a lot that didn't make it out of the shell.

Just wondering, it seems that my house is very dry, so was thinking about incubating either in the garage or barn til it gets cold. Any thoughts as to how to keep consistency as far as basically outdoor heat and humidity? 31% isn't very good, or even 42% if you don't count duds.

I wish I could control the humidity better. Mostly less than 50% inside the house.

Thanks,
Shawn

Do any of you OT's incubate? I have 2 incubators, a still air and one with a fan. 3 weeks ago I set 81 eggs. When I candled them at day 14 or so, I threw out 21 or so duds including a couple rotten ones..... explosion, smell.... a mess.... had them in the bedroom so the dogs/kids etc.... wouldn't accidentally knock them over. Girlfriend was NOT happy. Anyhow, added water on day 18 or 19, but the room has central air and a fan at night, but ended up with 25 chicks and a lot that didn't make it out of the shell.

Just wondering, it seems that my house is very dry, so was thinking about incubating either in the garage or barn til it gets cold. Any thoughts as to how to keep consistency as far as basically outdoor heat and humidity? 31% isn't very good, or even 42% if you don't count duds.

I wish I could control the humidity better. Mostly less than 50% inside the house.

Thanks,
Shawn

Here is the best video on incubation you will find! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/656836/january-incubation-seminar-meetup-video

Wow, great information! I love actual research based information. So much of what you get on threads is anecdotal or just flatly not true. Many times simple logic proves it wrong like the idea that you can alter gender ratios of hatched chicks by putting something in the hens water or messing with the incubator temperature. If that could be achieved consistently even just a few percent, the economic impact on the commercial scale would be so great it would already be used. But some people just can't seem to connect the dots in some cases. The story of that guy that was somehow convinced that all chickens laid soft shelled eggs that later hardened was a perfect example. I could have told you that wasn't true when I was eight and a chicken laid an egg in my hand. I don't need my degree in agriculture to tell you that.

I just need to get my hands on that PowerPoint presentation that he skipped through. Good source of Houdans too.

The UA Houdans etc are available from many on the Arkansas Folks Speak Up thread on BYC. There are also a few over in Oklahoma that have received his eggs. Anyone can get them, with a priority for youth. He does not ship. So you must arrange for picking them up.

Many folks got to meet Dr. Bramwell at Crossroads. He is also on the board of the Heritage Poultry Conservancy.

Newbie here in sunny San Diego Ca - Are squirrels in the chicken run bad? From what I have read they will get to the eggs.. My flock have not yet started laying - should be any day now. Got started with them 2 months ago. Until yesterday I did not know a critter was actually in with the chickens. (did see what I assumed to be gopher hole or possible snake holes so I have been proactive and looking for other threats) Today the little snot was in and out of there like he owned the place. Short of sittin with a bb gun ... well you know. In the mean time am working around the outer perimeter and other misc prevention options to my disposal. The varment acually climbs the wire up to the section of wire it will fit thru. My chickens tollerate other birds in the run too. That is until "bed time" then all are chased out.

Would you old timers tell me if flax is a no or yes for chicks. I brought wild bird seed for scratch to help me get them back into the run after I let them free range a bit. It has millet,Nyjer (thistle), canary grass seed, hulled sunflower chips,flax seed and grain products. Listed in that order on the bag. I throw 1/4 of a cup on the ground to get them to come running in. It's not open and I have the receipt so I can still return it. thanks

Newbie here in sunny San Diego Ca - Are squirrels in the chicken run bad? From what I have read they will get to the eggs.. My flock have not yet started laying - should be any day now. Got started with them 2 months ago. Until yesterday I did not know a critter was actually in with the chickens. (did see what I assumed to be gopher hole or possible snake holes so I have been proactive and looking for other threats) Today the little snot was in and out of there like he owned the place. Short of sittin with a bb gun ... well you know. In the mean time am working around the outer perimeter and other misc prevention options to my disposal. The varment acually climbs the wire up to the section of wire it will fit thru. My chickens tollerate other birds in the run too. That is until "bed time" then all are chased out.

I would prefer squirrels and other wild animals not be in my coops.

Would you old timers tell me if flax is a no or yes for chicks. I brought wild bird seed for scratch to help me get them back into the run after I let them free range a bit. It has millet,Nyjer (thistle), canary grass seed, hulled sunflower chips,flax seed and grain products. Listed in that order on the bag. I throw 1/4 of a cup on the ground to get them to come running in. It's not open and I have the receipt so I can still return it. thanks

Never used flax. Sorry.
hu.gif

I would take it back. You certainly do not want thistles coming up in your yard. The flax seed may have the DEA down on you too....Maryjane. I'd stick with scratch or a less exotic bird seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom