Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that it is not just numbers of chickens, and it doesn't take 20 years to gain all the knowledge that you OT's have. It used to but we live in the information age. Today we don't have to sit around a fire and wait for the talk to get around to chickens then try to glean and disseminate information from the elders you trust. I say that because old people gossip same as 3rd graders, seems even in old coffee shops, groups have people that know, people that think they know, people that listen, and the loud mouth.

I have had chickens for 3 years. I have made my fair share of just plain old stupid mistakes, but... I listen, do real research, meaning I don't latch onto the first solution unless it comes from a person or group I trust. I have made a life reading people and there are people on this thread that I trust and a few I take with a grain of salt. I am sure I am viewed the same. I go elsewhere and answer what I can, sometimes stretching my knowledge a little, trying to do my part in paying it forward.

I feel like I have gotten a college education in poultry keeping by absorbing what is here, other places and talking in person to people that know, or should know.

That said, some people treat their dogs differently than I treat mine. Heck within my own household there are differences. I am a fairly tolerant individual I believe, even though it gets less and less as I age.

Once again, I am grateful for a place such as this to hang out. Might as well listen and learn while I am here.

Shawn

x2. We had chickens when I was a kid, for about 10 years they were mainly my responsibility to feed and care for. Many years later, and now I've had my own for the last 3 years. When I first found BYC, I was amazed how complicated raising chickens had become.

That's why I love this thread. I have also made mistakes (Golden Comets as my first flock), but I'm learning more every day. I love the no-nonsense advice. The honesty. Y'all aren't condescending or molly-coddling, but matter-of-fact. I have much better husbandry practices because of your sage advice.

Thank you to all who post here. I will never stop learning, and apply common sense at every opportunity.

Got a question for everyone. In my flock of 10 hens, one of them is consistently laying an egg whose shell is soft either just at one end or all over. It's sad really, because she lays nearly every day and a HUGE egg. It's not lack of calcium in their feed, I feed ground oyster shell free-choice, and none of the others have this problem. Apparently it's just something in this particular hen's plumbing. I've tried to keep an eye out to catch the culprit, but just can't seem to determine which hen it is. I want to eliminate her from the flock because I'm tired of broken eggs in the nest boxes. Any ideas of how to determine the guilty party without me setting out there all day?

Got a question for everyone. In my flock of 10 hens, one of them is consistently laying an egg whose shell is soft either just at one end or all over. It's sad really, because she lays nearly every day and a HUGE egg. It's not lack of calcium in their feed, I feed ground oyster shell free-choice, and none of the others have this problem. Apparently it's just something in this particular hen's plumbing. I've tried to keep an eye out to catch the culprit, but just can't seem to determine which hen it is. I want to eliminate her from the flock because I'm tired of broken eggs in the nest boxes. Any ideas of how to determine the guilty party without me setting out there all day?
one at a time separate them until she lays an egg. Once the separate hen lays the egg you are looking for you have your culprit

Last edited:
Friend of mine got about 12 chicks (an assortment from TS) a month before I got mine. One of hers was a white one that grew faster then the others. It died on one of our early hot days this summer. Looking back, I'll bet she put one of those Cornish x in her assortment!

x2. We had chickens when I was a kid, for about 10 years they were mainly my responsibility to feed and care for. Many years later, and now I've had my own for the last 3 years. When I first found BYC, I was amazed how complicated raising chickens had become.

Glad you mentioned that. Why all the newbie questions on "what to feed, when, to who"??? Honestly? Really? Right on the bag of Purina or on the website of every major feed company, the "feed chart" is plain to see. Really, if you don't know what to feed who when, then why not just follow the directions? One day, perhaps you'll read and learn more about nutrition, but meanwhile, why is this even a question? These people feed their children, right? How complicated does this have to be?

I've never purchased grit. With all the sand on this property, there's no known need. Here's a real shocker. I've never bought oyster shells either. Not once. Never have soft shells either. My thinking is that my grandmother's chickens, in 1895, couldn't have walked the thousand miles to the ocean to find oyster shells. Feed back the eggs shells. They're free. And, for pity's sake, there's no need to bake, nuke, wash, sterilize or otherwise fuss with them. Again, you'd think this stuff is rocket science or something.

I've never used a thermostat in brooding either. I brood in March, with night time lows in the 40s and I do NOT lose chicks. I've got a couple of those famous Wal-Mart tubs, but I use them to transport tools to job site, never to brood chicks.

Oh my. The list of this kind of stuff goes on and on and on. I've got gardens to work, repairs to make, some business travel to do, and generally, a life to live.

one at a time separate them until she lays an egg. Once the separate hen lays the egg you are looking for you have your culprit

Since our barn has 3-4 pens, it is relatively easy to find such a culprit. Divide the 10 into two groups of 5. Then, the one at a time deal is also cut in half. By day 5 or 6, you'll find your culprit. With the 10 divided into 3 groups, you'd have your answer in 3 to 4 days. I know, I know, not everyone has this flexibility in pens, but that too is my point. Having flexibility in your housing, even if it means some layer tractors, allows for better management, something that I find essential. Folks often only have a single coop and run and have little to no ability for separation or segregation of individuals for health or other reasons.

Here I am talking about how smart I am.... It's raining here, has been for 3 or 4 hours. I am laying down kicking back when I realize I used the brooder (a 5x8 trailer modified) Sunday to haul hogs.... never put the tarp back on... 23 chicks 2 weeks old give or take in the rain. Running outside, I climb in the trailer.... 4 in very bad shape, laying out, stiff legged, wet, bedraggled, barely breathing, eyes closed. Others huddled in the corner. Brought them in put in box with microwaved towel, hair dryer, heat lamp.... Yeah, I am not going to lose them due to my own stupidity if i can help it. Long story short, it is amazing how tough these little creatures are. All have made it so far, actually standing on their own, eyes open.... Tomorrow to the barn brooder for a week or two, then out to the general population.... Have 2 broodies sitting for the first time too. Interesting to see them raise littluns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom