Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oyster shell keeps forever. Just keep it clean and dry. Your girls will go through about 35-40 lbs a year if they chow down on it like my big Orps do. Their eggs are very thick, and hard to break, but chicks don't seem to have a problem getting out. Hens seem to go through times when they don't eat much of it, and then chow down when they need it.
Thanks so much:)

When I went home for lunch yesterday, I noticed one of my little roos had wet feathers around his vent. It was the same when I got home. I went about my chores, and once done I caught him (no easy task) to give him the once over. As soon as I got hold of him, I noticed the stench.

Anyway, I gave him to DH and told him we needed to cull him. I didn't know what was wrong with him, but I didn't want whatever it was to be around the others any longer. (After researching, I believe he had vent gleet???) DH, who works traveling maintenance and is gone for quite a few months at a time, told me that since he's not there all the time I needed to learn how to take care of such things....so I did.

So, now the reason for this post.....

Had I not found this particular thread, I would not have had the courage or the know how. So, THANK YOU Wise Ones for this thread.

Now, I have got to go about figuring out why he got sick....who knows, he could have gotten into anything. They free range whenever I'm home (they're not old enough for me to feel comfortable leaving them out of the run while I'm not there). I keep their feed in a used food grade plastic 55 gallon drum with the lid on tight, so I don't think that's the problem....but who knows? Anyways, even though I don't have any ACV with the mother yet, I believe I will start putting some in their water anyway.

Thanks,

Julie

I've never had one of my layer flocks to ever have vent gleet. From what I understand, this is a fungal/yeast infection and probably due to excessive wet feces and/or an imbalance of growth in the environment of the coop/soils/bedding? I don't know that I've ever known of regular roosters having a messy butt and only had the occasional hen have mess there after eating watermelon or other such fresh veggies in sudden and mass amounts.

I'd be looking at why this bird had wet/messy stool and why it consequently grew fungus on his feathers and skin. The ACV can't hurt at all but I'd also be looking at your bedding and the soil in your run. ACV isn't a cure all and only really works if it is used in combination with sound husbandry practices. Sounds like you have an imbalance of bacterial/fungal growth in the environment of your flock and that needs rectified. Plenty of air, drier bedding, plenty of sunlight, the proper diet, no overcrowding(very important), good dusting areas...all of these things can help you keep a proper balance of microbes in the flock environment.

The first flock of meaties I ever had looked like they had started to grow some vent gleet at the time of butchering..not much but still a little present in the feathers around the vent. I put that down to excessive, too liquid stool(typical for meaties) and bedding down in that same stool each night instead of roosting, even though they were free ranged. I also noticed this batch of meaties didn't dust as regularly as my layer flock kept in the same environment.

The second batch of meaties were given UP/ACV in the water and fed fermented feeds, which changed their sloppy wet feces into healthy, firm droppings, and were given "meaty friendly" roosts, given adequate dusting areas they didn't have to share with bossy layer hens, and there was no sign of vent gleet upon butchering, even though I had way more meaties in that batch than I had in the previous one.

I bet if you look into getting some good cultures into their diet, via the mother vinegar or fermented foods, look to having dry bedding underfoot and proper ventilation in the coop environment, particularly during roosting times, and eliminate any overcrowding, you may see a change there. I've noticed that most of a bird's grooming takes place on the roost, so adequate space between birds is imperative to encourage this behavior...a well-groomed bird has oils distributed well into the feathers around the vent that protects against excessive moisture exposure from feces.

Anyone else have any insight into vent gleet and the causes? I always look for the cause first instead of the cure...you can throw a pound of cure in there but unless you get rid of the cause, you won't manage a thing.

I have two beautiful Saint Bernards. Docile, wouldn't hurt a fly. Lazy, couldn't be bothered to get up to protect anything. My older Saint, the laziest most docile of the two, killed four of my chicks the one day. So now....I don't let them near my chickens. Anyway, your dogs are beautiful Bee and you're lucky to have one so well trained.

On another note I have a question to ask. My chickens will soon be old enough to start laying and I plan on giving them oyster shells on the side. Now, I can buy a 5# bag of oyster shells at the Tractor Supply for about $6. Or, I can buy a 50# bag for $11 at my local feed store. Obviously my feed store is much cheaper. But the question is: how much oyster shells do 12 hens generally go through in let's say a months time? And, how long can you store this stuff?

I was given 3/4 a bag of Oyster shell, it's about 15 years old. It's still good. We live in a dry climate, get all four seasons pretty hard, and we just keep it out of the weather. Some places have trouble with moisture and mold & mildew on their feed, our climate is usually to dry for that problem. I have it available for them to eat free choice. How much they need depends on what they are eating when they are out free range. :)

I've never had one of my layer flocks to ever have vent gleet. From what I understand, this is a fungal/yeast infection and probably due to excessive wet feces and/or an imbalance of growth in the environment of the coop/soils/bedding? I don't know that I've ever known of regular roosters having a messy butt and only had the occasional hen have mess there after eating watermelon or other such fresh veggies in sudden and mass amounts.

I'd be looking at why this bird had wet/messy stool and why it consequently grew fungus on his feathers and skin. The ACV can't hurt at all but I'd also be looking at your bedding and the soil in your run. ACV isn't a cure all and only really works if it is used in combination with sound husbandry practices. Sounds like you have an imbalance of bacterial/fungal growth in the environment of your flock and that needs rectified. Plenty of air, drier bedding, plenty of sunlight, the proper diet, no overcrowding(very important), good dusting areas...all of these things can help you keep a proper balance of microbes in the flock environment.

The first flock of meaties I ever had looked like they had started to grow some vent gleet at the time of butchering..not much but still a little present in the feathers around the vent. I put that down to excessive, too liquid stool(typical for meaties) and bedding down in that same stool each night instead of roosting, even though they were free ranged. I also noticed this batch of meaties didn't dust as regularly as my layer flock kept in the same environment.

The second batch of meaties were given UP/ACV in the water and fed fermented feeds, which changed their sloppy wet feces into healthy, firm droppings, and were given "meaty friendly" roosts, given adequate dusting areas they didn't have to share with bossy layer hens, and there was no sign of vent gleet upon butchering, even though I had way more meaties in that batch than I had in the previous one.

I bet if you look into getting some good cultures into their diet, via the mother vinegar or fermented foods, look to having dry bedding underfoot and proper ventilation in the coop environment, particularly during roosting times, and eliminate any overcrowding, you may see a change there. I've noticed that most of a bird's grooming takes place on the roost, so adequate space between birds is imperative to encourage this behavior...a well-groomed bird has oils distributed well into the feathers around the vent that protects against excessive moisture exposure from feces.

Anyone else have any insight into vent gleet and the causes? I always look for the cause first instead of the cure...you can throw a pound of cure in there but unless you get rid of the cause, you won't manage a thing.
Thanks for the reply, Bee....they just started roosting and even though there is a LOT of roosting space left, whenever I peek in on them, they are ALL bundled on one side of one pole (I just figured this is because they are still young, with no moms)...I will be sure to add more ventilation ASAP!!

I call myself doing the deep litter method, but no matter how much I put in the coop, they always scratch to the bare floor (where their feeding stations are, not under the roost)....I was REALLY glad they started to roost last week, because I had been scraping poop from their previous sleeping spot (huddled in a corner near the feeding areas) every other day since they keep the litter scratched up there.
I'm starting to think the advice I got to use shredded paper as bedding was NOT GOOD!!

I'm going to cull all but 2 of the roos soon, just trying to wait til they get a little more meat on their bones, they're about 10 weeks old now, maybe I should rethink that one (for the space).

I put grass clippings in their run a couple of weeks ago (somewhat dried) since they're in there when I'm not home and wouldn't you know our dry spell has turned into a wet one, that may not have been such a good idea...the ground in their run was red dirt before the chicks moved in (converted and old "club house" into a chicken coop and attached the run in an area where the grass for some reason won't grow well but figured it would be a good spot since it gets shade most of the day). Maybe the grass clippings weren't such a good idea....

I'm hoping that by next year they will be able

You've given me A LOT of information to go on, and a LOT of things to think about... THANK YOU!!

Julie

OH, I didn't finish my thought....

I'm hoping next year they'll be old enough to '"fend for themselves" when I'm not home and my pup (she's just six months old now, a lab something mix I got from the shelter) will be a little older so the only time they will be in the run is if I need to contain them for some reason....

Thanks,

Julie

Yeah...the combination of shredded paper and grass clippings were probably a bit much. I've used shredded paper on occasion but only in small amounts in proportion to my pine shavings...just mixed some in as filler and it did okay but found it clumped and became wet if I used more than a little or used it without using the pine shavings also.

That combination of shredded paper, grass clippings and them sleeping in their feces might have been the problem. Let us know how it goes as you make changes? Deep litter really needs a lot of ventilation, particularly in the warmer months, so I think you are looking in the right direction to add ventilation. Can't have too much, IMO.

From one Julie to another, you are quite welcome!
big_smile.png

I am totally new to keeping chickens and I have made almost every mistake possible. And I'm planning on making more.
I have about 38 chickens in my large walk in coop and I added about 16 pullets last night that I have been keeping in my spare bedroom. I was waiting till they got big enough to integrate into the outside coop chickens. I just put all the young pullets in a crate and threw them inside the
coop with the older orpingtons. I guess I am just lucky. Everyone got on fine. A few of the older chickens started to peck at the new ones but nothing major. I have
done this introduction procedure a few times now and so far, I have been lucky. No one has killed anyone. However, being a newbie at this...I'd probably listen and take the
advice of the more experienced chicken people.

I am totally new to keeping chickens and I have made almost every mistake possible. And I'm planning on making more.
 I have about 38 chickens in my large walk in coop and I added about 16 pullets last night that I have been keeping in my spare bedroom. I was waiting till they got big enough to integrate into the outside coop chickens. I just put all the young pullets in a crate and threw them inside the
coop with the older orpingtons. I guess I am just lucky. Everyone got on fine. A few of the older chickens started to peck at the new ones but nothing major. I have
done this introduction procedure a few times now and so far, I have been lucky. No one has killed anyone. However, being a newbie at this...I'd probably listen and take the
advice of the more experienced chicken people.

Me too! Love that!

I asked this on another forum when I meant to post here. Sorry to duplicate.

Anyway... When I clean off the chickens' poop board, I've been noticing that there are tiny scales(?) (look like smaller than fingernail clippings) that are in the Stall Dry.

Do chickens shed their leg scales regularly? I haven't noticed any bumpiness on their legs or anything else that looks out of the ordinary or that would indicate scaly leg mites...

One BYC'er said that they do shed leg scales and since it is moulting time, that was probably it. I don't know if chickens have to be a certain age to even start moulting, but mine are between 14-16 weeks of age. My BIL has chickens and has never seen scaly leg mites and suggested that it may just be something from their feathers? Any of this sound plausible??

Any help is appreciated.

Sheila

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom