Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there OT's - couple of questions....

Okay, one is about rooster behavior. (Although I'm sure you get tired of stupid rooster questions) I have 7 girls, free range all day. Have had 2 roosters since we got them spring of '11. One was crazy rough, one was mean. Tried going without one, but didn't like it, hen they were free ranging, they were all separate, picking on each other a lot. So in July we got another rooster. He was younger, took them awhile to adjust, but he seems to be pretty good. Always on alert, keeps them all together, does his dance regularly, very protective. Anyway, yesterday I noticed weird behavior. He chased one of the girls for awhile, caught her, mounted, then pecked at her head - hard, got off, chased her again until she squatted, then he just stood over her pecking her head. No mounting, just pecking. He stopped, she laid there for a few minutes, then she got up and wandered off. She is definitely missing lots of head feathers now, also is hiding in the coop this morning and not out and about. What is this about?

Question 2 is simpler. Somebody just started laying soft shell eggs. They are over a year old, plenty of oyster shell available. Just one, but they lay every day. What a mess! Will they get better, or do I need to figure out who it is and remove from flock.

Thanks for the advice. Trying to follow Bee's chicken method. Just letting them be chickens, but I'd like happy - not victims of domestic violence - chickens :)

OK, so just an update. My girls will not be getting any meds, as there are NONE around! All the feed stores and mills are sold out till next shipment. I got some Vet RX and some electrolyte stuff, kinda like save a chick... and also got them DE worm er just to be safe. Praying for the best and keeping fingers crossed.

fl.gif

Okay, one is about rooster behavior. (Although I'm sure you get tired of stupid rooster questions) I have 7 girls, free range all day. Have had 2 roosters since we got them spring of '11. One was crazy rough, one was mean. Tried going without one, but didn't like it, hen they were free ranging, they were all separate, picking on each other a lot. So in July we got another rooster. He was younger, took them awhile to adjust, but he seems to be pretty good. Always on alert, keeps them all together, does his dance regularly, very protective. Anyway, yesterday I noticed weird behavior. He chased one of the girls for awhile, caught her, mounted, then pecked at her head - hard, got off, chased her again until she squatted, then he just stood over her pecking her head. No mounting, just pecking. He stopped, she laid there for a few minutes, then she got up and wandered off. She is definitely missing lots of head feathers now, also is hiding in the coop this morning and not out and about. What is this about?

I don't know but time takes care of a lot of things....just watch and wait to see if anything develops. If time goes on and he only does this behavior with this hen, watch her...could be she's the one laying soft shells and she has a problem in her reproductive organs, could be some illness or weakness she has that you cannot see, could be any number of reasons for this happening....but time usually tells all. If it continues, pick her up and examine her vent, right inside her vent, etc...maybe you will see why he cannot complete the deed with her. Or with time it will all stop and go back to business as usual. This is roo and hen business and not necessarily our business..not domestic violence, just the chicken world in general. Time takes care of a lot of these little chicken picadillos.

Question 2 is simpler. Somebody just started laying soft shell eggs. They are over a year old, plenty of oyster shell available. Just one, but they lay every day. What a mess! Will they get better, or do I need to figure out who it is and remove from flock.

Again..time will tell. They should be molting long about now and the stress and consequent feather regrowth can really sap calcium levels. You've provided what she needs and she will eventually right herself...with time. I don't get concerned about soft shells,no shells, freaky shells unless it is a general flock problem and I have many birds with the same problem. When it's just one or two birds and it's during a time of year that one would expect changes in laying, shell formation, etc., then I just wait it out. It usually goes away in time and right when it should be correcting itself. I know you are already offering OS but, if you aren't already, feed their shells back to them...no need to bake them or any such nonsense, just crush them up and put them in the feed.

Thanks for the advice. Trying to follow Bee's chicken method. Just letting them be chickens, but I'd like happy - not victims of domestic violence - chickens :)

For one healthy and active young rooster, I'd consider getting about 5 more hens if you have the space. When they are young and vigorous they can cover more hens and it gives more of a flock for him to police and herd around. I've had roos with just a few hens but the roos were older and more sedate and it worked out well, but a younger roo is naturally more active.

In the end, if this bird is still laying soft shelled eggs in Feb/Mar, cull her.

OK, so just an update. My girls will not be getting any meds, as there are NONE around! All the feed stores and mills are sold out till next shipment. I got some Vet RX and some electrolyte stuff, kinda like save a chick... and also got them DE worm er just to be safe. Praying for the best and keeping fingers crossed.

fl.gif

Curious...why are you wanting to give meds?

Okay, one is about rooster behavior.  (Although I'm sure you get tired of stupid rooster questions)  I have 7 girls, free range all day.  Have had 2 roosters since we got them spring of '11.  One was crazy rough, one was mean.  Tried going without one, but didn't like it, hen they were free ranging, they were all separate, picking on each other a lot.  So in July we got another rooster.  He was younger, took them awhile to adjust, but he seems to be pretty good.  Always on alert, keeps them all together, does his dance regularly, very protective.  Anyway, yesterday I noticed weird behavior.  He chased one of the girls for awhile, caught her, mounted, then pecked at her head - hard, got off, chased her again until she squatted, then he just stood over her pecking her head.  No mounting, just pecking.  He stopped, she laid there for a few minutes, then she got up and wandered off.  She is definitely missing lots of head feathers now, also is hiding in the coop this morning and not out and about.  What is this about? 

Question 2 is simpler.  Somebody just started laying soft shell eggs.  They are over a year old, plenty of oyster shell available.  Just one, but they lay every day.  What a mess!  Will they get better, or do I need to figure out who it is and remove from flock.

Thanks for the advice.  Trying to follow Bee's chicken method.  Just letting them be chickens, but I'd like happy - not victims of domestic violence - chickens :)

I'm not an OT, but I have observed this type of thing too. It was a hen that was resisting him a lot and with time it worked itself out. Just to let you know it'll be ok. So long as he's not drawing blood or anything, I wouldn't worry either.

Quick question on the hoop houses, shade for the girls, tarps, safe house from hawks, etc....

I built a hoop structure out of hog panels and it is working fine, however I have a few rolls of field fencing, probably 8 gauge wire welded about 5 inch gaps, hard to cut with snips, can be bought in 300 ft rolls at TSC. I was wondering if they wouldn't work as well for hoop structures only not as tall
since they are not nearly as rigid as panels. Anyone tried this?

Meanwhile, on lunch break. Closed in the stalls, now moving laying boxes all to one side with a pop do between and roosts on the other.

Isaac was here so not just dust in the one stall. Have some digging and irrigation work to do in the barn.

I don't know that they would have the tensile strength and rigidity to be a tall, walk-in hoop structure, as you said, but they certainly would make for great low hoops and tunnels for shade and range housing. Don't know about how much wind you get there, so maybe a heavy base to keep them anchored well to the ground?

Sounds like you have a great start on your coop! Can't wait to see any pics you have when you are done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom