Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. Looking at holding a meeting with Dr. Hanshaw and Dr. Martin with as many of us as possible. And with this we could get all our questions answered, learn about the standards for bio-security, requirements for meeting state regulations as well as info on the programs available in Pennsylvania including the NPIP and the PEP. Dr. Hanshaw made available that we could schedule it together for those that wish to get the Chicken Tech training could get that in the same day as well. I have the applications for the PEP program and will have the Poultry Tech application and information as well.

i was asked by my friend patrickschick to post this on this thread.

for anybody interested this will be held in harrisberg, pa.

I don't know where you live, but when the mean, grey, cold days of Jan., Feb., March, strike, and they huddle up, you will see why. I'm assuming that your run attached to your coop by a poop door is uncovered since you let them out for a few hours a day. Then the more room you can give your birds, the healthier they will be. Crowding causes stress. Stress causes sick birds.If your run attached to your coop is covered and dry, include that space in your figuring. Too many people crowd too many birds, and wonder why they get sick.See my page for very healthy birds.
i agree on overcrowding and stress point taken.

Hey all! I did NOT get the Dominecker Domicile finished today (PTA meeting) and I moved 18 of the chicks out of the brooder into hanging wire rabbit cages to help with overcrowding. I still put feed sacks on the bottom with straw over them for a solid floor, and put a cardboard box in the corner w/ a "door" cut in it for them to get in. I put a drop light in each box w/ a 60 watt bulb. The boxes aren't very big, but plenty big for 6 chicks to get in. My question is: With the light bulb in the box, is 6 chicks enough for them to huddle together and keep warm? When I left this evening, the thermometer was only at 85. But the temps have been in the 70's overnight. Nothing below that yet. the chicks are a week old.

Brie

Hey all! I did NOT get the Dominecker Domicile finished today (PTA meeting) and I moved 18 of the chicks out of the brooder into hanging wire rabbit cages to help with overcrowding. I still put feed sacks on the bottom with straw over them for a solid floor, and put a cardboard box in the corner w/ a "door" cut in it for them to get in. I put a drop light in each box w/ a 60 watt bulb. The boxes aren't very big, but plenty big for 6 chicks to get in. My question is: With the light bulb in the box, is 6 chicks enough for them to huddle together and keep warm? When I left this evening, the thermometer was only at 85. But the temps have been in the 70's overnight. Nothing below that yet. the chicks are a week old.

Brie
Hi Brie,

Yesterday I moved 3 English Buff Orp chicks who were 5 days old into my "brooder" in the greenhouse with 12 older chicks, from 1 to 3 weeks old. The brooder is a 300 Gallon Rubbermaid water trough for horses, about 5' across and 2 ' deep.. I use it for Koi eggs, and to brood chicks. Very easy to clean. Anyway, I'm not running any heat in the greenhouse, and the windows are open.This morning at 6:00 AM the temp was 49 degrees in the greenhouse. The only heat source the chicks have are two 100 W. bulbs hanging at one side.Those 5 day olds are happy as clams, running about with the older chicks, and stuffing their faces.They are much busier now than they were in my giant sweater box, all toasty inside!

Last edited:
the last few days I have found poop in my 3 nesting boxes, so this eve I went out to see who was there and I found 4 of my 5 oldest sleeping in the boxes. I removed them and put them on the perches. will I have to do this several nites to get them to stop?

Are the roosts higher in the coop than are the nest boxes? If not, they need to be and this should stop. If they are and it continues, you can help them out a little by placing them on the roosts for a few days until they get the hang of it.

thanks Bee, my roosts are higher than the nesting boxes and I have had these birds for a year. guess I will brave the mosquitos and go out aftr dark and move them for a while. I have 5 - 3 yr olds and 7 -1 yr olds. it is the older ones who have started this. I have 3 long roosts, one young hen got stuck in 1 box since she apparently went to lay an egg late in day and 1 of the older ones got in to sleep, so she was there also
idunno.gif

Hi Brie,

Yesterday I moved 3 English Buff Orp chicks who were 5 days old into my "brooder" in the greenhouse with 12 older chicks, from 1 to 3 weeks old. The brooder is a 300 Gallon Rubbermaid water trough for horses, about 5' across and 2 ' deep.. I use it for Koi eggs, and to brood chicks. Very easy to clean. Anyway, I'm not running any heat in the greenhouse, and the windows are open.This morning at 6:00 AM the temp was 49 degrees in the greenhouse. The only heat source the chicks have are two 100 W. bulbs hanging at one side.Those 5 day olds are happy as clams, running about with the older chicks, and stuffing their faces.They are much busier now than they were in my giant sweater box, all toasty inside!
Thanks! I of course went back during the night to check on them. Since these are my first chicks, I just don't want to screw up. there are 3 of the wire cages, so I put 6 chicks in each cage, each with a box and light setup. They were fine. This morning, it is quite cool, but everybody is out and eating already. The brooder pen still is pretty full, but I think it will be ok for a day or two until they can all move to the layer coop. Then I won't worry about them being crowded. I just don't want them to start pecking at one another, but I don't want them cold, either.

Brie

I just had to share this with everyone that uses ACV. Walmart just starting selling Heinz Raw Unpasteurized Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother. I was so excited I almost cried down my leg. It sure makes my life easier.

I found this out on Friday!
wee.gif
I have not been able to find Bragg's anywhere locally, but I did find it on Amazon. I have no clue what it costs anywhere else, but I figured I would just wait a couple of weeks until I could afford it, and get a whole case. I still may do that, but I CAN find local vinegar if I have to.

I found this out on Friday!
wee.gif
I have not been able to find Bragg's anywhere locally, but I did find it on Amazon. I have no clue what it costs anywhere else, but I figured I would just wait a couple of weeks until I could afford it, and get a whole case. I still may do that, but I CAN find local vinegar if I have to.
Do you have a Kroger in your area? Ours carries it, but not with the regular vinegar---it's in the organic section near the juices. 32oz bottle is $4.39.

Quote:
I don't know where you live, but when the mean, grey, cold days of Jan., Feb., March, strike, and they huddle up, you will see why. I'm assuming that your run attached to your coop by a poop door is uncovered since you let them out for a few hours a day. Then the more room you can give your birds, the healthier they will be. Crowding causes stress. Stress causes sick birds.If your run attached to your coop is covered and dry, include that space in your figuring. Too many people crowd too many birds, and wonder why they get sick.See my page for very healthy birds.

So what do y'all think the minimum space (square footage) per standard sized bird is?

Do you have a Kroger in your area? Ours carries it, but not with the regular vinegar---it's in the organic section near the juices. 32oz bottle is $4.39.
Thanks for that info! I never thought to look in the organics! I do most of my grocery shopping at Kroger. I will need to look when I am there on Friday.
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom