Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanna ask another stupid question....

For those of y'all that free-range: Do you let your birds out in the rain? I haven't been letting them out of the run when it rains because I didn't want them to get all wet and catch a cold or something. I realize that sounds a little stupid because the goats and cow and dogs all hang out in the rain; it's just that the chickens seem so much more.... fragile? Do you generally assume they are smart enough to get out of the rain? We have had 3 full days of rain here and my chickens have major cabin fever. It's the longest they have ever been all cooped up like this without a break. I want to turn them out, but it is really pouring here.

i am coming out with a new book . it is called ' how to buy and manage a self sustaining chicken farm with no money down "
this book is warranted to save you big money. what i did was use methods taught by Carlton sheets and Joel Salatin and combined them to a step by step guide for the beginning farmer.
chapters include:
1.where to buy a chicken
2 how to hatch eggs in your bra
3. how to recycle chicken waste
4. step by step instruction on free ranging.
5. how to properly teach a rooster to mate
6. how to teach a chicken proper manners
7. how to set up your in home chicken room
8 . how to properly diaper your chicken

and so much more

you can recognize the book easily. there is a picture of myself shirtless sporting my new double D's with chicken eggs under them.

also included are coupon discounts for my other books such as the number 1 seller roosters and the hens that love them, when roosters go bad, and chicken on the range

Just for the record, I'd have good enough sense not to buy this right now, BUT when I first started researching for chicks, I'd have bought it in a heart-beat. That's the true crime with all those people: The take advantage of people just starting out who don't know any better but really want to learn. That's why I really do think this thread should become a blog/book combo. It could honestly help people that have a real desire to learn and do the right thing.

I can get it published for you.

Gail Demarow/Luttmann and I were partners in a printing venture in the 70's-80's and I can tell you that her knowledge of chickens is minimal, yet she churns out all kinds of poultry books. She just takes existing info and puts it in her cutesy way and the books sell like hotcakes. Her poultry management practices are nothing like the books....lol She also does a lot of ripping off of info from others.

Walt
Sadly, the Storey book she wrote is the book I bought to help me get started before I found this site. Oh well. You learn something new evryday it seems.

I have used incandecent bulbs (40,60,100) clear or frosted for 30+ years to brood my chicks. I don't use red. During that time I have brooded tens of thousands chicks without a problem. They seem to sleep just fine and if they need more heat they just move closer to the bulb. It has been the cheapest easiest method I have used. I guess I need to buy a few cases of them now that they are becoming rare.

Walt

Better buy em fast, Walt..I heard they are no longer manufacturing those. They should still have them for awhile at Family Dollar and Dollar General. I'll be stocking up too, as this is what I prefer to brood with as well.

For those of y'all that free-range: Do you let your birds out in the rain? I haven't been letting them out of the run when it rains because I didn't want them to get all wet and catch a cold or something. I realize that sounds a little stupid because the goats and cow and dogs all hang out in the rain; it's just that the chickens seem so much more.... fragile? Do you generally assume they are smart enough to get out of the rain? We have had 3 full days of rain here and my chickens have major cabin fever. It's the longest they have ever been all cooped up like this without a break. I want to turn them out, but it is really pouring here.

Yes...rain is nothing to a chicken. Turn 'em out! Good feathering and proper oiling of the feathers keeps their inner layer of down dry and fluffy. You might find, though, that birds that get handled a lot by humans will have some of the natural oils disturbed and rubbed off the outer feathers and you will see those birds looking sodden and uncomfortable in the rain.

Lesson? Stop groping your birds, folks, and let nature take care of their weather-related needs...
big_smile.png

Another thing you will see if you are very observant~chickens will stay out in the rain and forage if it's going to rain all day but if it's only a brief shower they will run to the coop. Somehow they know and you can know if the rain is going to last if you just watch the chickens.

See what you have to do is get busy and start writing your book so us and others know what good chicken husbandry is all about.

I'm going to tell you another secret about me that is just a little odd and isn't really mainstream with the rest of the populace. I have zero greed and don't care a wit about making money...never did. Could be why I'm so poor...
big_smile.png
So, unfortunately, I lose my motivation to write a book quite frequently and, whereas most are motivated by how much money they could garner from such a thing, I would just give it all away anyway. I can not get real motivated by money. I know, strange..but there it is in a nutshell.

No Salatin-type empire in my future...alas....
caf.gif

We had a huge and damaging windstorm here in northern MN a couple of months ago. 16 of the 18 hens followed Boaz the roo into the coop but 2 dingbats just ran around in the torrential downpour, thunder, lightening and 75 mile an hour winds. (these two never want to come in at night, either.) Some people love storms. Some people hate them. Some people are idiots. And chickens are not different in that respect.

Of course, this storm happened a little before I started reading this OT thread, so I used my hairdryer on the two idiot chickens. ( eh? well foo-foo to you too, whoever said that
tongue2.gif
)

Last edited:
I'm going to tell you another secret about me that is just a little odd and isn't really mainstream with the rest of the populace. I have zero greed and don't care a wit about making money...never did. Could be why I'm so poor...
big_smile.png
So, unfortunately, I lose my motivation to write a book quite frequently and, whereas most are motivated by how much money they could garner from such a thing, I would just give it all away anyway. I can not get real motivated by money. I know, strange..but there it is in a nutshell.

No Salatin-type empire in my future...alas....
caf.gif

Ok, BK. You don't need to make money. Would not want to burden you that way....but think, my friend of all the folks you'll be helping, educating and encouraging if you do write that book. And think just how much you'll be helping me when you send me all the proceeds.

OK. OK.....I was just kidding, sort of.

lol.png
I'll get right on that, Missa! Y'all can absorb enough on this thread and such to get the general gist of things, can't you? Besides, the best education comes from experience and common sense and a lot of you are getting one and already possess the other.
smile.png

i let mine out in the rain. if it is to wet they more than likely just stay put or find something in the area to get under like a tree or bush.. some of my chickens don't care about rain. they figure yeah rain more bugs to get and maybe a worm. feather protect against rain. chickens are very hardy. what did they do before man interfered ?

Last edited:
Question for the OTs:
Is there a particular ratio of roo to hen that you try / like to maintain?
1 to 5?
1 to 10?
1 to 20?

This is assuming no breeding pairs, breeding for specific genetics, or breeding for show. Just curious about a farm flock whether small farm or large farm husbandry practice that has worked for you.

Do you have a roo you rotate between multiple coops of hens if you want biddies for restocking layers or for meat?

Does it depend on the individual roo and hens? Does it depend on the breed?

Really enjoying this thread and remember the few chickens I helped my dad with as a youngster. Not that many chickens, but thousands (no exaggeration) of Bobwhite and coutournix quail raised strictly for meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom