Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Galanie, I understand what you are saying and it makes sense, but in my case the metal roof gets condensation in the run area too - which has hardware cloth screening on three sides of the structure. That doesn't make sense to me, but it happens. My shadecloth ramada (shadecloth "roof", not a solid roof) also gets condensation on those same mornings. So does the side of my house. So maybe it's partly an air movement thing. When the air is still it condenses on surfaces with a temperature differential. We get a lot of radiational cooling here in the desert. Still air and no cloud cover = lots of radiational heat loss = lots of temperature differential on top versus bottom of a relatively flat roof, or outside versus inside of a house. Throw in a little humidity and you get condensation on virtually everything.

The roof on your coop has more slope than the roof on my coop/run. I'm wondering if that makes a difference. If the coop is designed so the heat of the chickens causes an upward air movement, and the roof is designed to direct that air movement up and out, maybe it's the chicken heat that creates enough convection to move the moist air up and out of the coop even on a still air day... and maybe my coop/run is so open there's not much convective process going on... which may be aggravated by the fact that I don't have many chickens in the coop, either... Just speculating, trying to figure this out before I build my next coop.

Was going to make a plywood/rolled roof instead of a metal one next time, but then I took a rainwater harvesting class and they said if I wanted to use the water for the chickens I'd be better off with a metal roof. So I'm back to figuring out the condensation thing again...
th.gif
Will definitely add more slope and more open-rafter space for the coop roof next time, but I'm not sure what to do about the run.

I like the half-monitor designs that have been posted. I'll probably do something along those lines for the next coop project. I'd repost the links but they've gone missing.
I spent two years in England teaching riding over 40 years ago. The English are terrified of draughts on their animals. All horse boxes ( stalls) only have windows on the same side as the box ( stall) door.The window is only hinged at the bottom, and opens out, placed high up on the wall.. It is called a Sherringham window. It directs air up, and over, an animal's back , not in to it. On the coldest days, when horses would come in from the fields with icicles on their whiskers, those windows were never closed, nor were the top doors. You simply added more rugs ( blankets ) to a clipped horse. NO colds, coughs etc, I learned to fear the damp draught. I put Sherringham windows in my coops. They work beautifully to ventilate it in winter, with no build up of moisture, and in summer in S.C., with a low opposite intake window , exhaust the heat from the coop.

I can see both sides. As much as I want to say one side or the other (cull/not cull) is right, I can't. Keeping a happy but not-quite-right chicken alive as a pet? Sure. The chicken is happy, and you're happy to see it happy. Becoming that lady with 87 cats, half-starved, and kids that smell like cat pee? No way. Somewhere between those two extremes is a line, and it's fuzzy, and probably not in the same place for everyone.

But I needed Beekissed to remind me that one good deed can become not-good when placed in a larger context.
I think there is less a fuzzy line between those two and more of an 8 lane highway. lol.
But talking about nesters....my chicks are the same way, always going to the fave nest, hogging it and keeping lesser chickens out. I an antique 3 nest nester (only large expense from back in the beginning when I was planning the Martha Stewart look for my coop) that nobody every used until recently. I have a crate on an old wooden box they used to use and a plastic walmart (white plastic) bin with holes all over it that sits under the light (that usually gets left on all day) and that is the favorite spot. Some of the girls are finally using the actual nester. They stopped using the crate and the other half lay in the walmart organization bin. So on a typical day there are- 1 egg in each nester box, sometimes 2, none in the crate, 1 or 2 on the floor and 6 or 7 in the bin. The floor ones I know are the newer layers and one is actually hiding her eggs under the nester in the darkest hardest to get to spot but thats because noone lets her use the bin! Now you know my chicks got too fat fast there for awhile and I think the crate and the bin are easier to get comfortable in but why would they suddenly quict using the crate? I have no idea. The white bin is not sturdy, it basically stays where it is by centragal force- being pushed between the wooden box and the wall it gets stuck in place, it is not enclosed and it is usually well lit. Go figure.

Not here.

Maybe the browser you use? There is a box that shows all the recent pics on a thread and you can click to view them all!!! How cool is that and we really needed that! There have been many times when I wanted to see a pic that had gotten buried in a thread and I gave up trying to find it again. Cool feature and long overdue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom