Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Al. Mean that.

I just hope folks have a growing appreciation for what you do Al. You breed some of the very best birds, and most difficult birds to breed, in the world. What Walt does in both breeding and judging all these fowl? Boggles my flippin' mind. That both he and you teach on here? With humor? Priceless.

Thanks also to Bee for letting us kinda hi-jack her thread so very badly. I just thought maybe we could compress a few thousand posts into a basic quiz and see if some of this stuff sticks. Now, we gotta help Bee girl to broader her world, and enrich her life, just a wee bit. Got a feeling a year from now? Our Bee girl will be lighting up the heritage threads.
lau.gif

Hijack???? Hijack??? Call it what it is..... CPR. This thread has been slowly dying into ridiculous social chat and this has been the best time in a long time on this thread. I'll take that kind of hijack any ol' day. I too am having such fun with this, am learning as much as the newbies and hope sincerely you will do another one soon on roosters. Everyone needs to know what to look for in a rooster for breeding.

Thank you, Fred...
bow.gif
I think this has been the highest activity on this thread in a long time..if not EVER. And it was all learning. Pebbles in the pond of knowledge.

And thank you, Al, for the comic relief!
big_smile.png
It's going to be your turn next....maybe the rooster quiz?

x3
Youre a Daisy if you do.

I'm all tickled to find out that I'm trainable! I come from a long line of hard heads this is a big deal in my breed line!!!
wee.gif
L

lau.gif
- first time I read what you typed I thought you said you were all TICKED to find out you're trainable LOL

Last edited:
Thank you Fred for the quiz. I appreciate the time you spent in getting this together and the patience to put up with us newbies. I love the humor and family atmosphere of this forum.

Lisa :)

x3

I'm all tickled to find out that I'm trainable!  I come from a long line of hard heads this is a big deal in my breed line!!!:weee L

Ditto that!
Just informed the DH (he knows it's about chickens when I'm sitting here and suddenly say "did you know..."). He humors me. Anyways, after reading Bee's posts with pics of her raggedy bird where she mentions that she has always been the roo's favorite, that hit me like a ton if bricks: this is going on in my own little flock! I have a white leghorn that was given to me by a family who got a chick for Easter (not by choice, but they kept her for 4 days before calling me to take her). My younguns were already about 6-8 weeks old when I brought her home and my young cockerel tried to kill her, so I brooded her by her lonesome self (with one of my pit bulls, lol) until she was fully feathered, when I added her to the coop. She didn't fit in, and was runoff by that same young cockerel... Until she reached POL. it was instantaneous, she became his favorite. The other hens would be foraging away, and a few feet away you'd spot the leghorn and the young cockerel, side by side. Of course, of all my birds, this girl lays one egg a day every single day. And my roo knows it too! I could never figure out why there was such a dramatic change of heart from him. Obviously, he got a new girlfriend, but apparently it goes deeper than that. :)

What a day!!!! Fred, you've flipped this thread upside down and I think everyone is writing down everything as fast as they can. I am so very happy and wish every day on this thread could be like this....but if it were, I'd never leave my house. I'd be glued to the PC.

I guess this is our version of BYC's Got Talent.
big_smile.png

The list of Gold Standard Dual Purpose is too long. There are a dozen, easily that MUST be considered. If I were a purchasing agent for you or a hired consultant, I'd sit down with for a lengthy interview, I'd survey your temperament, style, objectives and facilities. I am personally a Rock, Red, NH, type guy. But, that tells you nothing unless that is explained. Maybe by Tuesday, we'll get into this and why? Fair enough?

The list of Gold Standard Dual Purpose is too long. There are a dozen, easily that MUST be considered. If I were a purchasing agent for you or a hired consultant, I'd sit down with for a lengthy interview, I'd survey your temperament, style, objectives and facilities. I am personally a Rock, Red, NH, type guy. But, that tells you nothing unless that is explained. Maybe by Tuesday, we'll get into this and why? Fair enough?

Yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom