Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you "yessing"? You're gonna teach that section.
lau.gif

Didn't you get the faculty assignment handout? Missed the meeting?
yuckyuck.gif

Thank you, Fred...  :bow   I think this has been the highest activity on this thread in a long time..if not EVER.  And it was all learning.  Pebbles in the pond of knowledge

thanks for the quiz. I was an epic fail. and I have pure production layers.but I am enjoying the lessons and hopefully learning something along the way.

Think that I will now look at my thin flock(5) of layers in a different light.I keep thinking they need to be a little heavier but I know that they never should be. It doesn't help when my DBF keeps saying they look like they need to eat more. And I keep saying no they are only suppose at the most a five lb bird. They are not for eating.
And yes my most scraggly looking hen right now is my best layer even in the beginning of her molt.

thanks for the quiz. I was an epic fail. and I have pure production layers.but I am enjoying the lessons and hopefully learning something along the way.
Think that I will now look at my thin flock(5) of layers in a different light.I keep thinking they need to be a little heavier but I know that they never should be. It doesn't help when my DBF keeps saying they look like they need to eat more. And I keep saying no they are only suppose at the most a five lb bird. They are not for eating.
And yes my most scraggly looking hen right now is my best layer even in the beginning of her molt.

These production layers are indeed skin and bones. You can keep them energy filled, lots of protein, etc. That's what's best. They are sprinters, not marathon runners and cannot even really run the middle distances well. Sprint. That's what the do best. Wide receivers, not linemen. If you get them fat? That's no good. Keep them athletic. Svelte. Amazingly? They are terrific foragers! Freaks people out. Given the singular purpose for which they are bred. Astounding foraging abilities, really. That said? Still got feed 'em, and feed them well if you want eggs.

So these egg laying sprinters... Not long-lived. Am I just going to find mine belly up under the roost a year from now or so? Or do they simply stop laying but could turn into a pet that would survive another few years? I've never seen that really specified, it's always about the 2 years of laying then they sputter out.

Hijack???? Hijack??? Call it what it is..... CPR. This thread has been slowly dying into ridiculous social chat and this has been the best time in a long time on this thread. I'll take that kind of hijack any ol' day. I too am having such fun with this, am learning as much as the newbies and hope sincerely you will do another one soon on roosters. Everyone needs to know what to look for in a rooster for breeding.

Thank you, Fred...
bow.gif
I think this has been the highest activity on this thread in a long time..if not EVER. And it was all learning. Pebbles in the pond of knowledge.

And thank you, Al, for the comic relief!
big_smile.png
It's going to be your turn next....maybe the rooster quiz?
I for one enjoy the ridiculous social chat too. Its not why people come here but it oils the transitions and creates a cohesiveness. How do you know how much activity was stirred up? I noticed a few posters that have not posted much did post for this. So that is awesome.
This quiz idea was really great, a totally great way to teach. Still wondering about the ByC terms and Oddities....Yep, roos and meaties and Dual Purposes. How about what to look for in a coop?
That would be a good one.
what to look for in a breeder. (a place to buy chicks and a place to put them when young)
what to look for in a 1 day old chick.....thats what I personally would like to know. Is bigger better? Brighter make a dif? obviously healthy, ...
L

Nothing to add except to sign in and let you know I'm reading along and learning. Took me forever to catch up as I only read about 1x/week or so. Too bad there's not some way to do a weekly hi-lights summarizing the important stuff in just a single post!!!

Anyway - good stuff. Reading and learning.

Why are you "yessing"? You're gonna teach that section.
lau.gif

Didn't you get the faculty assignment handout? Missed the meeting?

What in the heck am I going to teach? I'm a mere youngster in the chicken world compared to you guys and lack the well rounded education on poultry that you possess. I'm sitting behind one of those little desks in the front with my hand up, yelling, "Pick me!! Pick ME!!!" Always was a teacher's pet.....
big_smile.png

So these egg laying sprinters... Not long-lived. Am I just going to find mine belly up under the roost a year from now or so? Or do they simply stop laying but could turn into a pet that would survive another few years? I've never seen that really specified, it's always about the 2 years of laying then they sputter out.
Any strain bred for the commercial laying industry is certainly not designed for the long haul. It's pretty basic, if you think about it. If your intended customer base rarely keeps birds beyond the "egg laying cliff" of a first moult, why breed for longevity? Do some individual birds live longer, more productive lives? Sure. No doubt. But statistically? If you've got a commercial hybrid (and these come in many, many colors, types and have a plethora of fancy names) you have got to be realistic about anything beyond two years.

What do people really think they are buying when they bring home Tetra Tints from a feed store? Do they have a clue who Tetra is? Google is your friend. At least with those, you know the bird is from Tetra. It's when the names gets changed to cutesy names that people think, what? Fact is? They don't.

Last edited:
Adding to Lisa's list: how soon do you know to cull a DP chick/pullet/cockerel? Ie what age is too soon? The rooster idea from Bee was a great one. I want to know what a hen's back is supposed to look like? Angles and all that talk do nothing for me, I need to see a good back versus a flat back versus one with too big an angle. Same with tails. I can google this stuff but I don't trust google. I trust Fred & Al & Bee & Walt to tell me what it should be and I will trust them. I'm now in the Cult of OT. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom